15% signal-to-noise ratio in 1989

katzenhai2

Ambassador
Hi to all,

in this chapter of Ingo's website he write about the signal-to-noise ratio regarding superpowers and how that relate to Remote Viewing:
http://www.biomindsuperpowers.com/Pages/RVandSignalToNoise.html

In the last sentence in this chapter he worte:
Fourteen years later the remote viewing effort began failing --- largely because too many individuals who had become involved opted to ignore noise sources. When, then, in 1989-91, a certain individual again tested for remote viewing potentials, he rediscovered the 15% to 18% signal to noise ratio. The whole of this story will be told in my forthcoming book which will be published initially via the Internet.
Anyone know where I can find more about this? I have not much ambitions to read every single article he worte on his website (because many times he writes too much about a topic which would not be necessary in my opinion).

I'm curious to read why this "certain individual" suffered again a so low signal-to-noise ratio.

BTW: I've sent him an email one week ago but he hasn't answered it yet.

plodder

thanks for sharing that passage from Ingo's biomind superpowers web site. it sounds like learning the language of the subconcious and being able to better discern signal from noise is a big key. learning to find and cultivate quiet time for the mind would seem important.

B

bill161

I not so sure I know what he means there by 15-18% signal to noise ratio.

Last I heard it was 80% good to 20% junk. I'm assuming that's what he means there. (Since, people have different ways of saying the same thing.) :-/

The noise ratio is kind of humbling cause you want to think you got 100%.

Thanks for bringing it up.

If he ever does come out with another book he'll probably go on C2C. He's in his early 70's you know.

At the same site 'Nature of Perception' is an excellent article too.

Regards

katzenhai2

Ambassador
Well, signal-to-noise ratio means exactly that: Signal (good data) 20% and noise (junk) 80%. Thats how it was at the beginning on SRI back at 1972. Then they developed the RV methods and the S/N ratio was 80/20 (80% signal-good data). At 1989 a RVer was tested and he got again only a 20/80 S/N ratio (20% signal-good data) like it was before he was trained.

Thats curious and why I asked for more infos about this issue.

Mycroft

I was listening to an old C2C mp3 and heard him say something unusual. Ingo Swann said that he forced the channel (signal line) open but now it is almost closed. This was probably a late 1990's recording. I have never been able to put that statement into context.

I too have read about this signal to noise ratio but never made too much out of it because I thought it pertained to an individual, not remote viewing in general.

B

bill161

Yeah we're probably talking about two different things here.

I remember reading the piece (maybe a couple of years ago).

I took it to mean 1/S/N which would put it in the 80% range.

On the other hand, maybe

In RV you 'hit' the target so many times that the result you get tallies up to 80% accuracy. I think that would make everything fit together. :)

How's that?

Interesting stuff. Especially for analysis purposes.

Ingo likes to get into those finer points, the stuff nobody thinks about. :)

I probably need to look at that article again.