Binaural for RV

Reasinre

So I've recently learned that some people like to use binaural tones to enhance their sessions. Dick Allgire for example is seen with earbuds in his videos published by Farsight Press. I'd like to try it. I can generate my own, but I don't know what frequency I should use. Should I use pure sine? Start at no phase and slowly phase one of the stereo channels? Phase them both in opposite directions? That kind of thing.

All that kind of info is what I hope other people before me will have researched. What is the most commonly used form of binaural tones used in RV?

Thanks!

Hi Reasinre:

Yes, many people use binaural tones - in quite varied ways.

Some use tones for cooldown only; others do that but keep the tones playing during the session. Others meditate for c. 5 to 90 minutes and don't use tones.

Some prefer recordings that focus on theta, usually favoring the delta side (getting down close to delta); others, high alpha. Occasionally people cite gamma. There is no solid evidence that I'm aware of that any one of these is any better than any other, and it may vary with the viewer - if we can ever detect a correlation with brain waves and the reception or manifestation of psi information.

Brain waves at all frequencies are constantly being generated, I understand, so when someone says they are "in theta" they mean, if they have means to verify that, that the theta frequencies are predominating. The others frequencies are still present.

I have links to some of the tone offerings under Tools on my 120+ page (link to 120+ is below). I used to use a couple I paid for but now I use Youtube videos. One good resource is The Monroe Institute, which was and is a pioneer with binaural beats (and associated "focus" states).

Jon

Joe_S

I still use the Monroe stuff, but for a different purpose now days. I think I initially used it for RV but according to my notes and old practice sessions I did just as well with Slayer.

fletch

I had myself a stroke last week and had to put several things on hold for the nonce. I wasn't even a candidate for stroke to top it all of since my blood sugar etc was dead on normal. There was even enough plaque built up in my arteries to turn heads [less than 30%].

Who knew?

Most of what was effected was my sight. At the moment I can see out of one eye well enough to read and write provided I wear some cheap glasses as "reading" glasses,,, which brings me to the point of the OP...

I've tried the binaural beats found on YouTube and elsewhere for free. I'm one of those that they do nothing for. The same goes for meditation if the meditation is guided. Whatever I try has to come from within. My personality won't allow "others" to guide me into squat.

Currently I am trying self hypnosis. The "guided" forms don't do anything, however when I have the script memorized I am able to address what I want to do. So far there are several scripts I have to work through yet they do seem to help.

I am working with scripts I purchased through Rick Smith. You may be able to find them for free or at least someone who uses a workable version via YouTube.

Does this help with RV'ing? Yes it does. Self hypnosis is IMHO the same thing as meditating.

I however am also trying to get past the need to be able to write down and sketch what I "see".

So far, not much luck.

Joe_S

fletch said:
I had myself a stroke last week and had to put several things on hold for the nonce. I wasn't even a candidate for stroke to top it all of since my blood sugar etc was dead on normal. There was even enough plaque built up in my arteries to turn heads [less than 30%].

Who knew?

Most of what was effected was my sight. At the moment I can see out of one eye well enough to read and write provided I wear some cheap glasses as "reading" glasses,,, which brings me to the point of the OP...

I've tried the binaural beats found on YouTube and elsewhere for free. I'm one of those that they do nothing for. The same goes for meditation if the meditation is guided. Whatever I try has to come from within. My personality won't allow "others" to guide me into squat.

Currently I am trying self hypnosis. The "guided" forms don't do anything, however when I have the script memorized I am able to address what I want to do. So far there are several scripts I have to work through yet they do seem to help.

I am working with scripts I purchased through Rick Smith. You may be able to find them for free or at least someone who uses a workable version via YouTube.

Does this help with RV'ing? Yes it does. Self hypnosis is IMHO the same thing as meditating.

I however am also trying to get past the need to be able to write down and sketch what I "see".

So far, not much luck.

Sorry to hear about the stroke. I am fighting a brain injury, and it has impacted my memory and cognitive functioning a lot. There are a lot of sounds and visual stimulation I simply can not tolerate anymore.

fletch

As stated the majority of what has been effected was vision which probably shows up in my posts. Typing is a chore but unless I do it, it will never improve.

Memory was also effected but is repairing rather rapidly by the day. Physical was limited to balance which has almost improved completely. I still use a cane to help judge distance. The vision is a bit more slow but is improving. According to doc's I'm looking at 3 - 6 months.

Rather grateful that my injury/ies weren't as severe as what yours are.

Joe_S

It's been years, not sure how many, any progress has been slow, but I was told that I would probably never recover 100% and that I am at risk for backsliding later down the road.

Fletch and Joe,

Sorry to hear about your serious ailments and sincerely hope you continue to recover.

I'm old and have had a few conditions myself - retinal detachment and atrial fibrillation (the latter under very good control via surgery). They had me on a Holter monitor again this past month just to check...

Glad you can continue to view and hope your progress continues!

Jon

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Fletch, over in the dojo (dojopsi.com/tkr/) there are a few musical things with a player on the front inner page (left side, scroll down just a bit). A few pretty piano rifs, quite a few binaural (I know you said those don't do much for you), some Enya I think.

I like the brainsync binaurals (deep meditation for example) not just for the binaural so much as just the sound, I mean it's kind of like a complex color noise mix, which I sometimes use as ambience in a room (no headphones). But TMI's Focus 12 (there's a portion of it in that mix) has always been one of my favorites.

I used to be a hypnosis nut for about a dozen years but I'm seriously out of practice with that. Hilary Stagg harp music used to relax me because it had been used in a meditation group I was part of at one point, but now it's pretty much audio Ambien for me.

Best wishes for your gradual healing.

PJ

fletch

Jon, PJ and Joe - Thx for your well wishes and am offering them in return.

Doc's will tell me I can't do something. I then spend my time proving they're full of crap. This stroke slowed me down temporarily the same as their declaring me 100% disabled did.

I don't know your temperaments but hope you're the same. So far things have played out in my favor to the extent doc's are wondering how the heck I do things with the injuries I sustained.

There's no secret. It's just persistence.

PJ - I knew about the audio player. Enya is my choice.

appj3

There are quite a few out there, but my particular favorite is one from the Monroe Institute Gateway Program.
Specifically Wave 4 Focus 12.

The title is "Free Flow in Focus 12". The entire purpose of this track is 'exploration'. It's been working fairly well for me during my sessions.

I believe you can get just that one track on iTunes, but remember that it's part of an entire set.

Mycroft

Reasinre said:
I can generate my own, but I don't know what frequency I should use.

Don't think anyone addressed this aspect of your question, so I will. This would be dependent on how you personally operate at specific frequencies. As a ballpark most will do fine with 5-11hz binaural. I found that 40hz completely or nearly so blocks me from non-local communication but is excellent for concentration.

This is my reference, I have been in contact with the people of this site. I have been into this for a long time and listen to binurals almost constantly at work to keep me in the zone (and block the localized chaos).
http://www.lunarsight.com/freq.htm

There are at least a half dozen RV tracks available on the web and most address one or the other need. One I am particularly fond of came off what looked like a scam site for $20. Turns out I use that more than the others. Experimentation is what is required to see what works for you. I've tried isochronic but it seems too harsh for my hearing while trying to RV.

Different people have different triggers, I've had experiences where I've Astral Traveled while listening to an old time clothes washer. If I don't watch myself I can fall asleep in the middle of a pounding thunder storm.

Find out what works for you.

Mycroft

appj1

You tube has a ton of binaural and theta videos. I am experimenting with this. I think it's going to be individual. Phisiological responses are never singular. There is a range that will be considered normal regardless of the parameter you are looking at. For example the ideal blood pressure is 120/70 I hardly ever come up with that reading when I do a blood pressure even in people who have normal blood pressure. So what does that mean for binaural beats?

It probably means we have to each experiment with it and see what it does. If one tape doesn't work try something else. At the monroe institute they had to adjust it individually based on the EEG reading.

The Muse thing kind of interests me because it provides the same feedback they used when making Gateway and when Joe M was working with them. If the feed back is accurate it would be a good tool to use... I think they demonstrated adequately the value of biofeedback in generating a response.

This is the first time I've ever considered a gimmicky geeky sort of toy to be useful for something other than emptying your wallet.

appj3

I think it's completely worth the money to purchase one of these initially until you get a feel for it. Only after that would I make my own.

Probably the most important reason is the transitions. There should be a gradual progression through the different phases rather than leaps from one frequency to another.

Monroe Products have been lab tested and do this very well. Tom Campbell also creates his own for class use and they are quite cheap. Then Silva has some good ones as well. I have no reservations about these recommendations.

When creating your own audio track you can actually make your session better or far worse. It takes some time to get it right. I personally think it's interesting.
Especially with the new biofeedback devices out there like Muse which Jenny mentioned.

satyanveshi

JennyT said:
You tube has a ton of binaural and theta videos. I am experimenting with this. I think it's going to be individual.

Be aware that :

1. Availability of Binaural signal on youtube videos (audio) depends on the quality of the video/sound you select. Lower quality -> more compression -> most likely binaural signal is lost due to masking/channel combining effects of the perceptual compressor in aac/ogg/mp3 compression algorithm. TL;DR: always select highest available quality, if you try out youtube binaural videos.

2. Sometimes (actually quite often) videos are downloaded, re-uploaded and thus re-compressed by Google. Also, most authors have no concept of what is CBR/VBR/joint-stereo/stereo settings in audio compressors and thus may lessen or completely lose the binaural signal. Remember, there needs to be near non-audible difference between the tones, and through multiple re-compression of the files, this difference may easily be lost. TL;DR Always try to find the original uploader of the video/audio you want to try on Youtube, not a seventh generation copy.

Personally I have found that I need progression of binaural tones:

- First binaural to help first to calm me down
- Second binaural to focus my mind
- Third binaural to support my non-local trials

I can't do this (as of yet, with my skills) with just one binaural frequency.