Blocking Ingo Swann with magnets

snorble

In this talk by Todd Murphy, he discussed the experiments Ingo Swann did with Dr. Michael Persinger. Supposedly Dr. Persinger was able to use magnetic fields to enhance Ingo's ability to RV, as well as to prohibit his ability.

Has anyone heard this story before, and are there more details? It makes sense that you could enhance your results by calming the mind, whether that happens by meditation or magnetism. But the blocking part was not something I expected. Although I suppose RV results could be hindered pretty significantly by an obnoxious guy yelling outside your window, so maybe magnetism could do the same.

https://youtu.be/tmC1174POpA

Reasinre

Russell Targ's an co. extensive research basically demonstrated electromagnetism is not it. I'd attribute the effect of these magnets to magick. Using the magnets was just the ritual. The blocking itself was part of Persinger's own psi functioning in action.

Although this is only my educated guess.

snorble

Reasinre said:
Russell Targ's an co. extensive research basically demonstrated electromagnetism is not it. I'd attribute the effect of these magnets to magick. Using the magnets was just the ritual. The blocking itself was part of Persinger's own psi functioning in action.

Although this is only my educated guess.
Interesting. So this idea is similar to the theory that James Randi himself has some psi ability he uses to block practitioners he tests?

Reasinre

Well, I think that would be simplifying the matter too much (it could be the practitioners themselves self-censoring or a combination of both). But yes, the basic idea would be that. The problem is this becomes an unfalsifiable claim from the point of view of the skeptic, so it's really messy. Of course testing should be done to determine any of this.

If only psi wasn't such a hot, emotional topic, I think there's much scientific knowledge to be gained there. Perhaps in a couple of generations.

mscir

Really good video, thank you for posting it!
Does anyone have any Shiva or Shakti helmet stories they'd care to share?
i.e. https://www.god-helmet.com/

Yes, thanks for posting this video!! It’s the most extensive discussion I’ve seen on several of these topics. E.g. the linking of geomagnetism with psi, Ingo Swann as a subject in their lab, the helmets, etc.

(I’ve only gotten through the first hour, at double speed with subtitles on – saves time!)

I do have some questions about his approach and statements. Hopefully someone who is more familiar with the mainstream neurocognitive research can comment.

Doug Murphy says (30:27):
“psychic information is nonverbal information”.

This seems to me just plain wrong. A lot of psychic information that I’ve experienced and seen in other viewers is most definitely verbal. (This would go against his approach which is that the right hemisphere is the source of psi info.)

Second, he claims more for the hippocampus than I believe mainstream science has found. E.g. he says that the hippocampus is the source of theta waves.

Whereas in Wikipedia, which is terrible on psi but useful on other subjects, we find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_wave

Thus, "theta" can mean either of two things:

A specific type of regular oscillation seen in the hippocampus and several other brain regions connected to it.

EEG oscillations in the 4–7 Hz frequency range, regardless of where in the brain they occur or what their functional significance is.

The first meaning is usually intended in literature that deals with rats or mice, while the second meaning is usually intended in studies of human EEG recorded using electrodes glued to the scalp. In general, it is not safe to assume that observations of "theta" in the human EEG have any relationship to the "hippocampal theta rhythm". Scalp EEG is generated almost entirely by the cerebral cortex, and even if it falls into a certain frequency range, this cannot be taken to indicate that it has any functional dependence on the hippocampus.

I gather theta waves can be detected in many places, not just the hippocampus, so to say the hippocampus is “the source” of theta waves again seems off the mark.

On laterality: I won’t raise my hobby horse about overstatements on left and right hemispheres –except to say  Doug Murphy does not qualify his statement that the right hippocampus is the source of psi and in general buys fully into the right/left brain meme. Hey, what about us lefthanders! :) (Some of us anyway; some lefthanders are "wired" as righthanders are, with regard to hemispheric dominance, it appears.)

I also would be quite interested if anyone has used the Shakti device or God Helmet and if that has increased their psi accuracy. Murphy says one experiment with Swann showed that his remote viewing was improved with use of a device, and also that his RV could be inhibited with the device.

Jon

BTW, on a related topic: I wonder about use of the Muse Monitor, which tracks brain waves. Another RVer is experimenting with one. I asked a researcher who appeared on a recent APP GoToMeeting about this. He said it would be better to use skin conductance measures rather than the non-lab quality products like Muse Monitor.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure that "If we put a decently strong magnet near your brain it might affect its operation!" is a given, even in subjects with no relation to psi at all. :D

For better or for worse. But honestly that seems like it would go for everything that affects us -- I mean, caffeine and cocaine and anger and having to pee affect viewing but that doesn't mean they prevent it or affect it for better or worse depending on the viewer -- it just means anything that affects a human biology is going to affect whatever that biology is experiencing and doing. This is kind of a given right. OP your comment about the guy yelling outside the window is right... that's what I mean.

(Humor: I used to practice RV whilte sitting in the car while my kid was little and in this class, and every time I got started, some guy in this apartment building right next to the parking lot would open his window and start practicing Tuba. Tuba, of all things! OMG. I eventually came to consider it funny and it didn't bother me but the first few times...!)

The SQUID research didn't get done for psi, Dr. May once said, because they couldn't nail down the time-point of the data "acquisition" for lack of a better word (e.g. maybe it's "realization" and the other word has assumptions). So it seems rather difficult to measure stuff related to actual psi -- rather, we can measure "the end-result of communication." Because you know... we lost our keys a block away but the light is better here, where we're looking.

But ordinary cognitive science, measuring anything else (e.g. performance on anything -- math tests, piano playing, sports) seems like it could be part of such research and the results might apply to psi functioning (to include its communication since we can't measure it without that), as many other things do.

Re audio I couldn't decide how to respond, so:

path 1:
I get a lot of audio in psi too -- and out of it, alas, if I'm doing a lot of awareness effort -- as well as concept-verbal (actual words, spelling, etc.). But I don't know that this means that the data isn't nonverbal. Nothing happens without our nervous system/brain bringing it "through" us in some way, it seems. It is possible that the same energy run through a person will actually manifest for them differently depending on something like their health and chakra activity at a given moment -- coming through as a visual, audio, concept, gut-sense-of-shape, etc. just depending not on the energy but on the person. I did a series of viewing experiments once where I imagined myself in/at the point of each chakra before cuing for data, to see if the data that came across was in any way more specific to that particular chakra. In the end, it wasn't (which surprised me), but it did have the novel effect of "refreshing" the same cue with each move-of-perceived-body-attention-location.

path 2:
Maybe there is no such thing as psychic information. Maybe there is just information. Maybe there is no such thing as 'receiving' it. Maybe there is just already having it. Maybe we just "fork it out of ourselves with a synchronicity filter" that hopefully narrows our bowl to about the size of the target instead of the infinitely other possibilities in the universe. (Another translation of that, for scoffers, would be "chance/luck." But I don't mean that way except inasmuch as those things, taken to the extreme, do not exist; mankind shows the same holographic patterns as the universe. e.g. the correlation between astrology and human life -- clearly not casual, as Jung noted, but clearly concomitant, like both as a secondary effect of something farther back the chain of existence).

On the brain wave thing: I don't know much about the detail of that field of research, but in my personal experience with what I will call metaphysics in general to include psi (more spontaneous than intentional), data that we would term "psychic" as well as other interaction with the interworlds is not dependent on brainwave state. I spent a couple years working full beta on stuff that I used to do in a spectrum from light conscious-delta (some alpha streams in there apparently) all the way up to light theta and everywhere in between. The experience is vastly less impactive both at the time and in reality-change effects, but learning that it's just there, nothing special whatsoever is needed for it, was good. To me, it isn't about where you are looking 'from'... it's just about the fact that you're looking, and allowing yourself to accept and record or interact with whatever you see (I'm using visual analogies but of course I mean all-senses/info).

11 years ago in a brief post I wrote about the body and RV on the old Red Cairo blog, I quoted Ingo:
“It increasingly became understood that the neurological networks throughout the whole bio-body itself also process information. And since the 1970s it has become understood that certain kinds of information are processed at the cellular level throughout the surface and internal organs of the bio-body.”
So you know... if my liver does RV... if our brain, nervous system, and in fact the cellular contents of our whole body... might be part of our experience and performance of anything, it'd go for psi as well.

Some time ago I was reading an article on the brain when you sleep and a cleansing behavior that operates but only in the deeper brainwave states does it kick in. I suppose anything that might help to improve the fluidic function of any part of the body (but especially the brain) would probably have at least a chance at helping human cognition and performance.

PJ

mscir

“It increasingly became understood that the neurological networks throughout the whole bio-body itself also process information. And since the 1970s it has become understood that certain kinds of information are processed at the cellular level throughout the surface and internal organs of the bio-body.”

I've never read anything about that. Links anybody?