Brainstorming while the server is down

polkadotpuhjommies

.... don't be ambiguious with your intent ~
Re: Servers down?

.....and guess what ? ? if ya can't get into the galleries, ya can't get into to the chat either :-/

Thought I would mosey on over & see if anyone was there who might know somethin bout the servers...they've been down for 9 hours that I know of.

Joe_S

A plane was taking off from Kennedy Airport. After it reached
a comfortable cruising altitude, the captain made an announcement
over the intercom, "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain
speaking. Welcome to Flight Number 293, non-stop from New York to Los
Angeles. The weather ahead is good and, therefore, we should have a smooth and
uneventful flight. Now sit back and relax - OH, MY G-D!" Silence followed, and after a few minutes the captain came back on the intercom and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am so sorry if I scared you earlier; but, while I was talking, the flight attendant brought
me a cup of coffee and spilled the hot coffee in my lap. You should see the front of my pants!"
A passenger in Coach said, "That's nothing. He should see the back of mine!"

polkadotpuhjommies

I think the 3 of us need to find something to do instead of leap frogging amongst the 2 topics ....why, it's ALMOST like stalking and being stalked... heh heh ;D

Dumani

Check this out :)

http://www.tenthousandroads.com/wbbs/WBB.cgi?board=receptive;action=display;num=1115837772

dreamcatcher

Where are you? I can't find you, but I've been looking for you.
I miss this site more than chocolate cake with chocolate icing
since I've been dieting atkins style. And that's a whole whole lot!!!!!!!!!! I wonder how many other people have actually tried logging on about 50 times today like I did. OK! OK! maybe it was more like 100 times or more,...
Miss u much, can't wait for u to come up & play, my little server.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member

Sorry to interrupt the pattern of the locals, so to speak!

I'm taking a break from work for food and catching up on TKR. I start work at 6am usually and my job's 2 hours behind me so by 5 I am weary and it's only 3 their time, so they're still going strong! I'm still adapting .

FYI I have the 'always remember me' cookie set for this website, so I never have to log in, so my name is ALWAYS at the bottom as if I am 'here', even if my computer is totally disconnected from the internet.

The server that RVGalleries.com and RVwebChat.com tie into went down during the night and is still not back up. There are zillions of domains down. They are working industriously on fixing it.... I have NO CLUE when it might come back up, and I have no control over it either.

Since y'all have so much time there's already two pages of messages in the last 3 hours on this topic LOL, how about you spend it brainstorming and helping me get links for my latest idea and future RV tool?

[footnote: 'cause if someone else doesn't do the links work, it could be 2 years before this happens, since I have other projects in line ahead.]

This is something that, if others help me get links, will take very little time for me to do -- it isn't taking much from other things I work on late at night for TKR -- because I'm just tying it into all the stuff already existent in the Galleries.

I'd like to set up a little task utility that is frontloaded to the extent that the viewer knows the target is A NEWS ARTICLE -- as posted somewhere on the internet, as of some future date.

I feel it is very helpful for viewers to work against the AOL of frontloading at times, and I feel precog viewing should be done so viewers' psychology adapts to the understanding that it doesn't matter, and I also think that sometimes working without super-hard feedback (yet still having feedback) can be a pleasant break for the psychology lol, plus news often invokes more concepts because it's not tied ONLY to a physical picture (though one may be involved).

The future date would be 2-6 days in advance.

The news could be one of, oh I dunno, say 50-250 different news sources online. We would want web links for the system, direct to a page that has
(a) a clear HEADLINE, as that will be the feedback (that and the story it carries), or
(b) a TOP STORY -- by which I mean something actually labeled "top story" or whatever, or
(c) a top story by which I mean, whatever news account is at the top of the page.

Because online news sources, even daily newspapers, tend to change their stuff constantly, I could set up the script to actually go and capture the html page at the time the viewer requests feedback. So it has to be a direct link to That source, at that time, THAT is the target, not the possibly 40 different headlines etc. that could happen over the course of 24 hours.

It's important the sources be not just main news, but news on sports, and even some that are news on totally offbeat or corporate or nonprofit type things -- in other words, knowing it is a news article would not be sufficient to bring crime-politics as an assumption, if several of the sources were just as likely to have a story about an animal or toxic waste or or children or corporate profits or the latest astronomy pic or whatever. Variety is important so the more sources the better.

The idea is that the viewer would get a task generated for them with a unique task number, and they would get the feedback date. However, the task would close THE DAY BEFORE that feedback date, for reasons I hope are obvious. If the date's days in advanced they're welcome to get another task, eventually it's gonna be closer, lol. And then they'd have several tasks to do if they wanted.

The only issue with this is that the system itself has no feedback, as the news page is copyright and we can't just go stealing whole front pages constantly. (Well, we can. I just don't want to. ;D Well I can pull it in for the viewer but I can't save it as a file on the server and make it avail ever-after.) And if the viewer were to 'tell us' what the news said, it would likely be biased unintentionally. Of course, anybody could do a screen-capture and then upload the image--but then we'd still have the same problem.

So this is what I need brainstorming about, is how to provide some kind of feedback in the system, so that people can upload sessions for this and others can comment. If I can't figure it out, I can build the tasking tool, but it won't have a session-upload option. It would still be fun. But it'd lose the social edge.

PJ

Dumani

Hi PJ...

I didn't exactly understand because my English doesn't let me get everything LOL :) And I have an idea for MISSIONS (feedback/comment). 1 per weeks is okay. But missions is like practicing. The only difference is we wait for feedback which makes it more attractive. My idea is maybe we can do it more interesting. We can work on something REAL. Something going to happen for example? We can try to do sessions on subjects like: who's going to be the next president?, WHEN and WHERE will be the next BIG earthquake?, WHO kidnapped this boy?...

Of course the feedback will come by-time. We will wait and see. This is for future-sessions. And we may also have PAST sessions. So we can task questions for known targets like: Describe the August 1999 earthquake in Turkey. Or something else like this. We can try to feel people's feelings. We can HELP people. That makes more sense i belive. We can also have a link so people tasks target (a script will help them to do this) and volunteer viewer will RV the target. So we will be able to help OTHER people there... We can also help eachother. If i need help i can ask help from my friends here. Isn't it exciting?

Whatever you/we do, I like this system already. It's really very good. These are only my suggestions.

Cheers...

Ates Dumani

Joe_S

Not sure I'm understanding this PJ lol

are you saying that the target would be something like what the headline will be on http://drudgereport.com at 10am 5/21/2005 ??

Joe_S

FYI I have the 'always remember me' cookie set for this website, so I never have to log in, so my name is ALWAYS at the bottom as if I am 'here', even if my computer is totally disconnected from the internet.
ummmmmm... are you sure about that?
For some reason I always look down at the bottom to see who is on, and most of the time you arent listed lol

like right now....

Users online
2 Guests, 2 Users
Joe_S, YL

;D

Joe_S

see now it says you are again lol

Users online
5 Guests, 4 Users
Joe_S, PJ, Marv_Darley, YL

polkadotpuhjommies

Sorry to interrupt the pattern of the locals, so to speak!

how about you spend it brainstorming and helping me get links for my latest idea and future RV tool?  

[footnote: 'cause if someone else doesn't do the links work, it could be 2 years before this happens, since I have other projects in line ahead.]  PJ
Suggestion 1. Change the title of this thread to read: Server down & New Project Brainstorming (or Ideas) : this way, anyone who hasn't already read this thread in 2-3 days from  now will be more apt to read it?

Question- about the copyright issue: does the fact that TKR is a non profit situation give you any wiggle room regarding the copyright issue? Often, I have seen something to this effect where assorted things are copyrighted - not an exact quote- 'copyrighted information may be used for personal use as long as not part of any sale or resale activity'

Comment: Many sites, this one included, allows copyrighted info as long as the source and the author are included and/or a link posted going to the original source of the info.

PJ, if you, or anyone else, have answers to the last two paragraphs, then maybe more ideas can be developed on how to resolve and develop the rest of your project.

added: I'm with Joe...I don't ALWAYS see your name either indicating that you are either logged in or online..just FYI in case it matters that your cookies are working or not.

Joe_S

and I agree that maybe you should change the nameof the thread, lol I just sent my suggestions in email...

Depending on what we were doing, the copyright may or may not be an issue, while it is ture that copyright applies unless someone places something in the public domain ( and the whole time limitation thing ), as long as something is being reviewed you can use parts of it under fair use. ummmm we can just say we are Remote Reviewers of these articles....
But there are still some limitations, unless we go for something like full front pages of actual news papers which would limit the variety in this. Being non-profit doesn't mean you can steal peoples work, and in the case of a news article, while the person who wrote may not have a problem with us using something, the company they are contracted with may. Some sources requior exclusivity from their writers, so it could be a touchy subject I guess. Keep in mind too that just because someone doesn't register a copyright doesn't mean their works are public domain, for example if you were to write some poetry you don't have to register it, it is already protected under copyright laws.

here is an interesting link about these isues

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html