copy and paste replies as a quote

energycritter

energycritter@y ahoo.com
Do I select the words that I want to copy and use as a quote in my reply and then click the quote button contain within the reply that I am copying and then go to my reply to paste? I am not wanting to just start trying something and mess something up. Thanks for the help, BC ???

PS....always lost and confused. I bet you expected someone to make that remark. ha ha ::)

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
If you click on 'quote' to the message you wish to respond to it will put the entire message within square brackets that say quote and /quote. If you only want to quote a piece of that, copy or type those brackets manually to surround the 'pieces of quote'.

Alternatively, make the quoted part italic or a different color instead. Click the color or style button, and then copy and paste the part you want to quote in between the bracket tags it puts in the box.

By the way you cannot post on the 'announcements only' boards. You had one up on NRVG and I deleted it, sorry about that, the webmaster is going to look at the software here as it shouldn't have allowed posting. Only 'discussion' boards allow that and right now the only ones we have are the 'topical' boards at top. Whoops, our fault.

PJ

energycritter

energycritter@y ahoo.com
Do I select the words that I want to copy and use as a quote in my reply and then click the quote button contain within the reply that I am copying and then go to my reply to paste? I am not wanting to just start trying something and mess something up. Thanks for the help, BC  ???

PS....always lost and confused. I bet you expected someone to make that remark. ha ha  ::)

energycritter

energycritter@y ahoo.com
OK, I did it......now to try and copy and quote from more than one post into a single post.

This cracks me up, I am so timid about computers that I do not try a lot for fear of messing something up.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Quoting from more than one post would have to be done manually. Actually reasonable quoting--where you just quote a 'piece' of text you're responding to--sort of has to be done that way as well. It's easiest to hit 'quote' instead of 'reply' to get the text in the first place. The quote tags will be at the beginning and end of the post. Those are what need to be placed around any 'pieces' you are quoting. See below.

Code:
[quote]put quoted text between these[/quote]
You can just type them in, or copy and paste them as needed.

To quote text from more than one post on a thread, do it like this, first, do the above with a post. Then while you still have your reply-box up, use the bar at right to scroll down the page. All the messages from the thread are displayed. Go to the one you want, highlight the text and press Ctrl+C, then go back to your box and put your cursor at the bottom and press Ctrl+V. That will paste the text you want to quote into your reply box. Then just add the quote tags on either side of it.

Regards,
PJ