Daily Defacing of this Site

Mycroft

Seems to me that there should be a timing delimiter put on the user id from the time the account is created until it can be updated. I would think there would be some way of preventing the daily defacing the site has received.

Mycroft

Gene_Smith

Administrator
Staff member
Well you are certainly preaching to choir when it comes to spammers as I spend anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes most every day banning and deleting their posts. Other staff are doing the same I'd assume. We would like to have as open a door as possible, but if we could do something about them, yes it would be good. The problem comes in with the limitations of what the software for this place will or won't let us do automatically. And approving each and every new person would take more time than what staff has available between us.

But I'm sure P.J. would be all ears if you have a solution.

Gene

P.S. I moved the topic to this general category as Cat Scratch is meant for discussions that get overheated beyond that of normal decency.

Mycroft

Gene said:
But I'm sure P.J. would be all ears if you have a solution.
Sure, only allow the 1 posting a day until there are 10 postings. You've got all the fields(columns) you need but the coding change, I can handle that if need be.
After 10 postings allow only 3 postings a day up to 40 after 40 make it pretty much unlimited.

Right now word is out for the spammers to do their deed unimpeded. Once they find out they can only do it once with a single signon they'll tire of it quickly. I don't know, you might know if the IP is the same but I think you are banning based on IP so it might not be the same people every day.

This is my best solution of the moment and it should be easy enough to implement.

Let me know if I can be of assistance,

Mycroft

katzenhai2

Ambassador
Spammers use automatic scripts to register and post. Use a better captcha code at the registration process and you are spammer free. The automatic scripts today can read some easy captcha codes.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
We're looking into a variety of improvements that hopefully will take down admin time on spam.

Thanks to the other admins who got in here and deleted all this latest junk. I only found like 3 this morning.

PJ

Slorri

There is a lot of spamalot left by these two fellows: abriccos and soovieryino

Hundreds of posts. :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01P1q48oE8