Divination or Daydream

workerant

Lost, Out of sync., On a different wave length.
Cent, read a short novel called "The Icarus Girl" by Helen Oyeyemi.

Cent

Workerant, "read a short novel called "The Icarus Girl" by Helen Oyeyemi." and.....

Not heard of the novel. I’ll have to google it, since bookstores are few and far between out in the country. *smile*
I would assume it has something to do with what’s being talked about.
Did you enjoy it? What’s it about… other than an Icarus Girl *whatever that means* Can you give us a review?

“easier to arrange the information you received in a way that won't get the other person's feathers ruffled”- Brazen Hawk

There’s the trick eh? Is it best to say, I had a thought? Compared to a vision, dream/daydream. Depends on the person. How you convey it can be a shot in the dark as well. To speak of it, in a common way as conversation, some will hear without you having to step out, but many will dismiss it as idle conversation.
On the other hand, if the information is delivered in such a way as to demand the listener to be open…*speaking with knowledge like a Seer, or when doing a reading* the risk of opening yourself up to dismissal or ridicule is ever present. People are curious about readings/divinations… but many also have a fear inside them. This in itself can also cause people to dismiss insight.

I agree Brazen Hawk, People don’t always want to believe others have more understanding of their needs then they do themselves. I often wonder why people share their dreams and not want/or ignore feedback.
I mean… what’s the point of sharing it… if one already thinks they know it’s meaning.
*unless the dream evolves others and it is felt They need to know*

It is very frustration to have insight/knowing, and yet your friend refuses to see what is happening around her. I wonder if your friend is Oblivious… or chooses to see what she wants to see.
If she is a close friend, and you can be… *grin* Brazen about it, you can try putting it to pen and ink… and hand it to her. Words she can dismiss easily, but it takes effort to throw them away. She may *or not* finally hear you.

Sometimes… I find there is nothing that needs doing… some people, some lessons need to be experienced, we are meant to experience them to learn/grow/help ourselves. It is too bad that your friend has no understanding, did not see, that the heads up from her dream… was meant to help her prepare/fix/or learn from. To walk blindly into it, without thought, insight or info given… well.. perhaps this is the lesson.

We tend to repeat patterns, our brains like the familiar feel. I’d be willing to bet…*although I’m not much of a gambler lol* that your friend dismisses many things people say, and not just about insight into her dreams.

"oblivious to the signs is the going state of mind"
*laughs* Good one. :)

feonixfyre

Think I might use that saying instead of my Thereau quote, LOL :)

I think you are right, this friend just needs to experience it.

I am going to look into "The Icarus Girl" as well.

Cent

so.... ya think an ere ibeji would help. :DLOL

reviewed by HELEN DUNMORE
The Times, UK January 01, 2005

The Icarus Girl is a story of overwhelming, corrosive loneliness. Jessamy Harrison lives in London, the only child of a Yoruba mother and an English father. As the novel opens, this intellectually precocious, angry, solitary eight-year-old has shut herself into a cupboard because only in such confined spaces does she feel in control.

On one level Jess’s alienation springs from everyday realities. She has been moved up a year in school because of her academic gifts. Her rages and screaming fits distance her further from her classmates. She is a stranger to her mother’s family and language. On a deeper level, Jess is haunted by other zidentities which threaten to take over and destroy her own.

The strongest of these takes the form of a little girl, Titiola, whom Jess encounters when she first visits Nigeria.

Jess names the girl TillyTilly, and she appears to be the typical imaginary best friend of an isolated child. But TillyTilly is far more powerful than this. It emerges that Jess is not an only child, but a surviving twin. It also becomes clear that this novel is as much metaphysical as it is realistic.

Twins bring blessings in Yoruba culture, but may also bring misfortune. If one twin dies at birth, the surviving twin is thought to have lost half her soul. A sacred image of the dead twin, an ere ibeji, must be carved and then tended like a living child; in its turn the ibeji protects the family. Otherwise, disaster follows in the form of sickness, death and barrenness. This fate overtakes Jessamy Harrison’s family.

Helen Oyeyemi was only 18 at the time that The Icarus Girl was written. Her style is bold, raw and often painful in its intensity as she describes Jess’s psychic torment and near disintegration. Her father is sucked dry by depression, her teacher disappears on sick leave, and Jess’s one good friend is almost killed during a sleepover from hell.

Oyeyemi’s writing is powerful if uneven. But at its best this is a chilling story about the anguish of separation from all that should be most familiar and dear. In the end it is only in Nigeria, within the traditional family compound, that wounds can begin to heal.

feonixfyre

Interesting. I never checked it out, got sidetracked with the silly day-to-day stuff. It's been interfering a lot lately with the things I want to do, hurumpf :(