External qigong research in China(article link)

psijunkie

http://www.qigonginstitute.org/html/Chen/Waiqianalysis_0704.pdf?PHPSESSID=15f3ab8c81aa134ed7e1acbc3f6e332c

Pretty interesting. I was planning a trip over there but it was called off.

psidoc

Re: External qigong research in China(article link

If I'm thinking of the right Kevin Chen, we met at a World Qigong Conference in San Francisco, and I have high respect for him. He is a good researcher and networker.  

In late January to late March 2001, I traveled mainland China from Ningbo on the East Coast to Kanming at the foot of the Tibetan mountains in the West for the purpose of studying Qigong masters. My translator was the renowned Qigong master "Moon Jew", as he likes to be called, who is formerly of San Francisco and a close friend of the equally renowned Qigong master George Dong, whom Marcel Vogel used in many experiments before Marcel's death in the early 1990's.

The problem a Westerner runs into is that most Qigong masters who are "The Real Deal" could care less if they are regarded as a Qigong master or not. It comes down to a matter of trust...if they like you, they will show you something. If they do not, they won't. As a Qigong practitioner for 27 years, I knew what to look for and did not observe any attempted trickery.

Example: one fellow offered to show me something and I agreed. I had no idea what was coming next. We were both sitting at his desk facing each other, each with his hands folded and visible. Suddenly, the guy started rubbing his index finger and thumb together...I thought he was doing a rendition of, you know, "The Worlds Smallest Violin", when he reached out and bounced his pinched digits toward my right hand. It felt just like an acupuncture needle entered the web of my thumb! He opened his hand before my eyes to show he held nothing.

Moral: there's a lot of good stuff out there. It is excellent that an attempt is being made to collect some Chinese Qigong experiments. Another renowned source that Kevin missed is Shu Kanming, MD. He has published some interesting double blind experiments on mouse carcinomas, using a control group, chemotherapy only, chemotherapy and Qigong, and Qigong only. The latter two groups lived the longest, with some complete remissions as I recall.

Another source of Qigong studies is from the compilations of Professor Shin Lee at U.C. Irvine, although I am unsure whether he is prepared to share his research studies at this stage. One can always ask.

Best regards,
--psidoc

Omega

Euphoria = Hitting the Target !! : )

Greetings and Welcome Psidoc,

Wow what can I say except, you are man
of many talents, I am not knowledgeable of this,
but would like to ask for pointers, as to where to begin
reading.

Many thanks

regards

PsiSpy

psidoc

Thank you for your kind words, PsiSpy!

I've been "out of touch" with the mainstream Qigong research for 3 years now, due to being with a sick relative who lives geographically far removed from any scientific community.

There is one video tape on Qigong that I've seen that's good: It is entitled "Qigong: Ancient Chinese Healing for the 21st Century", and is written by Garri Garripoli. At the time Garri gave me a copy, it was being distributed by Wuji Productions and Conscious Wave Incorporated / 360 Interlocken Boulevard Suite 300 / Broomfield Colorado 80021. Their phone is listed on the VHS tape as 800-522-8705. Note to those outside the U.S.: Each time you observe the "/" in this address, begin a new line. It has been shown on the National Geographic channel and PBS (Public Broadcast System).

There are also a series of VHS tapes (perhaps in DVD now?) called the "Wushu & Qigong Series" by Master Yanming Zhang, a 7th generation lineage holder of Mt. Emei Qigong and 18th generation instructor/successor of Mt. Wudang Longmen School. I know him, but I haven't seen him since 1999; he is "the Real Deal". As a piece of trivia, when Master Zhang came to California from China, he began teaching students to begin their energy sensitivity training by going into the forest and wrapping their arms around trees to sense the energetic movement from the roots up the tree's interior. People observing his students did not understand what they were seeing, and thus came up with an original name for them ... that's where the phrase "Tree Huggers" came from. :D
The videos I have of the series show his distributr to be: TC Media Incorporated / P.O. Box 4657 / Santa Clara California 95056. The order line on the VHS box is 800-824-2433.

Dr. Effie Chow, who is/was President of the American Qigong Association can be reached at her offices at East-West Qi in San Francisco. She has had a book out on Qigong for years. Also, Ken Sancier, former head of SRI in San Francisco, used to have an active data base of Qigong Masters for sale, although I don't know if he's still alive or if the data base has been kept up; the reason I mention his name is because if Ken did something, he did it Right!"

I'm afraid all I have is old information for you PsiSpy. :( I hope it helps, if only as a place to start.

Best regards,
--psidoc

Omega

Euphoria = Hitting the Target !! : )

Psidoc,

Many Thanks for the information, I just have to get this all
sorted out, what with the reading that I have to do and
sessions ! Wheeeew !.

You are a storehouse of information, much appreciated.

regards

PsiSpy