"Fear of PSI"

Benton

Staff member
Its a term that gets mentioned regarding why we don't see more PSI in the world. We are afraid to be psychic? Why?

If its your conscious, egomind that is causing all the noise that drowns out the RV data, or eagerly overwrites the info with AOLs, then why is that egomind so afraid of the RV? If the egomind's job is to plan out future success, you'd think it would be enthusiastic about PSI.

If you think about it, there are lots of good reasons for the fear of PSI, and since the egomind is designed to anticipate and plan, it is the best candidate for figuring out what needs to be feared.

Or worse yet, what if your subconscious(s) also are thinking about the repercussions of your 100% accurate RVing skills?

What is there to be afraid of?

If you could RV 100% accurately, what would you do? What chain of events would that start? What would happen to you, your family. What would others do if they knew you had 100% accuracy?

If "Fear of PSI" is real, and such an impediment to RVing, it needs to be dealt with before anything else we do to improve our RV performance.

Or is this one of those things best left not talked about?

Kiara

I think this is a very interesting.

But I do not think most people are afraid of psi.
Because they do not believe it exists.

I'm in Portugal and if I was to speak about it, I would be considered insane.

I supose things can be diferent in the US.

I think this is a very interesting.

But I do not think most people are afraid of psi.
Because they do not believe it exists.

I'm in Portugal and if I was to speak about it, I would be considered insane.

I supose things can be diferent in the US.

I agree with Kiara about this. Although it is probable that some individuals harbor a fear of psi, I believe the vast majority simply do not believe that psi exists. Our Western culture strongly conditions the individual from childhood on that psychic phenomena do not exist, and to believe otherwise subjects the individual to ridicule and scorn. I believe this is the primary reason that most individuals do not explore psi.

sonny5085

where are you from (the keep) "I am from you"
I was watching Penn and Teller one time ..one of their Thats bulls*it....
Where they debunk some fortune tellers and a ouija board...

What was interesting if you watched the show..
was the fact that the actor who pretened to b a fortune teller
accurately dishes out some info....hahah..of course she admits
it was just a fluke..but the mix with crap was how it was supposed to go....

and the ouija board had a fluke as well where it was accurate in its dowsing
by complete idiots...
haha... but you have to be looking for the flukes in order to see them...
otherwise the cynical show which boost cynical viewpoints is a complete success.

I think a fear may exist in a unknown way, a protection I have had dreams about it.
I imagine that if psi were to be seen as reliable, stocks , gambling the entire crime prevention..
would be affected in so many repurcussions !

SCARY! YEA I THINK SO..

psijunkie

It is very difficult to develop psi in such a hostile cultural climate, where it ridiculed and mocked everywhere. People fear stepping away from the crowd. Social ostracization is the reason why most people never develop or express an interest in psi. Talking about it in public can be a risk socially and professionally. For these reasons, being an RVer can be quite a lonely experience. These are huge hinderances to the development of psi.

Benton

Staff member
Certainly folks can be antagonistical to people who believe in such stuff, hostile even. But I was interested in thinking about what would happen if you found out you could do RV 100%.

You could take your act on the road, its quite the show when Uri Geller or the fellow who talks to dead people or some other psychic person goes before the camera. I am sure just as an act you could make a sack of money. And the scientists would flock around you, with our superhuman powers. The books you could sell.... the lecture circuit fees, the business consultant fees, the video training, the exclusive RV training school, the money, the cars, the dancing girls, the posh house in the Catskills....ooops, did I say dancing girls? Sorry. Anyway, you could make a lot of cash, and when the townspeople with their torches and pitchforks showed up, you could hire a crowd of local thugs to send them packing.

I wouldn't be afraid of PSI because somebody thought badly about me, or accused me of witchcraft, or any of those things. I could make enough money in the stock market to build walls of gold and diamonds to protect me, and hire an army of admirers to stand around me all day telling me how great I am....

No, I'd be afraid of PSI because if the world knew I could do that, it wouldn't be 2 days before someone kidnapped all my family members and me included to force me to use my skills for THEM.

Not to mention all the pressure from knowing the hour of your children's deaths, to be open to knowing anything, no matter how dangerous or scary.

And knowing that... would you stop the next war? Would you change history? Would you recreate the world to suit your tastes?

The list of possibilities are endless of what you could do if you managed to survive the first few days! And those possibilities contain a lot of horrifying stuff... which is the real reason to be afaid of PSI.

Which means... if I figure it out 100%..... you'll never hear about it from me.

H0bgobl1n

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." The above speech by Nelson Mandela was orignally written by Marianne Williamson who is the author of other similar material."

Benton

Staff member
Whew, finally figured this out. LOL!

Here is this week's take on the subject.

Fear of PSI is a naturally evolved piece of your mind. It is necessary. I apologize if I have posted this before, I did mention it over at the Rhine Website but I did not naturally connect the ideas to this "Fear of PSI'. Anyhoooo....

PSI ability is like most other things you do, genetically mediated, you inherit whatever brain structures that provide the ability to get PSI data. But it is necessary that the ability be strongly repressed. If not, those few mutants with conscious control of their PSI abilities would soon wipe out the competition. But natural selection depends on maintaining variability in the gene pool, so we can't have the limited variability that extreme success would provide.

So nature builds in limits, they are necessary, and I betcha a natural fear of PSI is one of them.

The trait survives at ALL because it comes in darn handy when all else fails, and not always then. Then again, it needs to be a little helpful, but also bring with it some limitation.

Perhaps, since PSI ability has access to future info, it only allows itself to work when the actions it provides will increase variability in the future, in other words the PSI event itself must be self limiting, it must provide for more genetic variabilty/adaptability than the PSI knowledge not being present.

That would explain why relationships are so important, since a PSI event in that case increases the variability in the environment but also carries the PSI person's genes, in effect doubling the amount of genetic material available for my genes that they possess or WILL possess if the event is occurring with the future mother of my offspring.

So, a fear of PSI is a natural thing, and the inability to control it consciously is a natural thing, and the relentless statistical show of PSI as just barely significant is natural, as otherwise it would get selected out through the process of natural selection.

Does any of that make sense? Please respond, your feedback is always appreciated.

Kiara

Benton, that is an interesting theory.

But in the way you put things: it's like PSI is some sort of curse, a bad thing, a bad plot to Series B movie.

For you there are the normals and there are the mutants. The PSI genes sometimes have the ability to create mutants... but nature protects the normals from the evil mutant by blocking their power. And that is why the mutants can not control their powers.
For you the fear of PSI is natural defense that nature gave normal humans against the evil mutants = us.

Can not agree with that.
I'm not an evil mutant. I'm a normal human that has an ability, that's all.

I just wish I could control this. But in a way RV is a way of getting some control. I can not control how and when I get a telepathic event, but I can, some times, get some interesting results in a RV controlled situation.

The fear of PSI is not a genetic or natural thing: it is cultural thing. Man fear the unknown, he fear what he can not understand.
PSI is feared in the same way a scientist was feared in the time of Galileo.
If a scientist was to completely explain PSI, it would no longer be feared... it could have some problems at the beginning... but so did modern medicine.
It would just be a mater of time.

Benton

Staff member
Hi Kaira,

Thanks so much for replying and bringing up these important points.

I looked back over my post, and I am sorry if I made having PSI abilities (which we all do, I think) seem bad. I did not use the word "evil" or "mutant", or "evil mutant" nor did I say PSI folks are bad, mean, smelly or morally suspect. All the people I know who regularly exhibit PSI abilities are nice people who I enjoy being around.

And I can't say that I divide folks into normals and mutants. I think everyone has inborn facilities for PSI, its part of being conscious. Some folks like to think of themselves as normal, others have to recognize they are unusual in their ability to manifest their natural PSI ability.

OTOH, if you are an evil mutant, I don't want to be disrespecting you. I mean we all have some issues we need to work though and come to terms with. I have done some things I am not proud of, but at the time, seemed like the right thing to do. Evil Mutants have feelings too, and I hope any evil mutants reading this will find some solace in knowing that whatever karmic issues they have can be worked through with PSI as a guide and as a helper.

Okay, all silliness aside, in my previous post I was just conjecturing about genetics and the process of natural selection and never thought about either of those things having any moral flavor in what they do.

Seriously, I do think we have natural evolved fears. I read something about everyone being born with a reflexive fear of snakes. Biologically speaking, genetically speaking, PSI is dangerous in that it would lead to extinction, all other things being equal. That is, if my reasoning is correct, which it may not be. But the process of natural selection is a valid thing scientists agree on, and the rules of natural selection do apply here to any behavior/physiology that is provided by genetics. In other words, I can see how a fear of PSI would be a natural and necessary thing, which is the only point I am trying to make.

But dangerous and evil are two different things, and again I apologize if I did not make that clear of if I said anything insulting or critical of people who manifest PSI behaviors.

Kiara

Hi Benton

Genetic selection determines the survival of the fittest.
Following that thought, people with PSI would have an extra advantage and a person with psi would try to mate with another person with psi to increase their offspring advantages.
That does not happen and that is because humans are social animals.
Social life and culture are stronger then genetics in humans.
A baby is born clean: no fears.... but then he is educated.... by humans.

Have you ever heard about the wolf children? Abandoned human babies that are raised by animals.
In the 19th century and in the early 20th century some scientists experimented in those children and traid to teach them how to be human. It was only after that, that the children started to have human fears.

The problem is not genetics/mother nature. The problem is us!!

I'm catholic, but I also have no problem saying that the churches (catholic and other cristian churches) are the main reason the PSI gene pool is so small.

I some times wander about the region my grandparents come from:
- I'm portuguese from Portugal.
- In the region my grandparents used to live, there wore several megalithic monuments and several tall tales about magic and witchcraft.
- Some theories relate megalithic culture to magical use of psi (i mean using it thinking they wore doing magic)
- There wore rituals involving those stones the survived until the middle ages... then they wore condemned by the church.... condemned people people, imprisoned people, people on the run do not procreate.
- Things like this... persecutions of magic and sorcery took place all over Europe and later on in the colonies.
And that is why the PSI gene pool is so small in the present day.
Some times I wander what would happen if we wore to meet and breed between each other. Would our children have stronger abilities? I have no idea.

PS: When I was a teen, in the summer, I used to go in to a circle of stones , to try and feel something: I never did. So, as far I know, the leys theory is a fake.

Don

Hi Benton,
I'm not sure how this fits in - and if I recall correctly, it's something you, especially, have talked about in the past - but I'm thinking about how PSI seems so integrally involved with relationships.

Sorry, it just occurred to me, so my thoughts aren't very clear on this. But that factor seems tangetially related to the subject of the fear of psi. Your thoughts?

Mycroft

Kiara said:
A baby is born clean: no fears.... but then he is educated.... by humans.

To complete your knowledge on that there are two instinctual fears, fear of heights (as soon as the sight develops enough to have depth perception), and loud noises. Fear of creepy crawly things, high winds, fear of lightening without thunder is all taught to children.

I'm catholic, but I also have no problem saying that the churches (catholic and other cristian churches) are the main reason the PSI gene pool is so small.

I some times wander about the region my grandparents come from:
- I'm portuguese from Portugal.
- In the region my grandparents used to live, there wore several megalithic monuments and several tall tales about magic and witchcraft.
- Some theories relate megalithic culture to magical use of psi (i mean using it thinking they wore doing magic)
- There wore rituals involving those stones the survived until the middle ages... then they wore condemned by the church.... condemned people people, imprisoned people, people on the run do not procreate.

Unless they hid their abilities, my grandmother's last name was Hillditch the blood line originated on the East Coast, I understand her 16th cousin was on the Mayflower. She along with one brother and five sisters were all Catholic and PSI hot, they hid their abilities. Like their name if you substitute a 'd' for a 'w' what do you get? ;)

- Things like this... persecutions of magic and sorcery took place all over Europe and later on in the colonies.
And that is why the PSI gene pool is so small in the present day.

You hit that one right out of the park! Did you know American Indians are not permitted to Ghost Dance by treaty? Did you know there were massacres of Amish, Dutch, Mennonite, Quaker and Shaker people right here in the US? Did you know that early settlements of Shakers and Indians could communicate over long distances, through spiritual practices?

Some times I wander what would happen if we wore to meet and breed between each other. Would our children have stronger abilities? I have no idea.

Yes and I got that straight from someone in the psychology department at one of the largest hospitals in the world.

PS: When I was a teen, in the summer, I used to go in to a circle of stones , to try and feel something: I never did. So, as far I know, the leys theory is a fake.

Could have been a matter of perception, you may have been too far away from a ley line or your might have been on a big one.

Always, always assume 'there is one in every generation' even if they live their whole lives and nobody found out.

Mycroft

Benton

Staff member
I go into a little more detail in what I am conjecturing about this genetics stuff here:

http://rhineonline.blogspot.com/search/label/Evolutionary%20advantage

I find the notion that we are afraid of PSI because of the church or other people's fears unreasonable. For one thing, the Christian church is relatively new on the scene evolution-wise. Secondly, why in the world would I be afraid of being able to know whatever I wanted to know? You can't explain that with nature or nurture, its absurd.

Kiara, you make a great point in that humans are social animals. But to address Don's question, I think to be human is to build your sense of self on your interpersonal relationships. I differentiate between "social" and interpersonal, in that we have social groups we identify with, but we identify ourself from our interpersonal, one-to-one interaction.

Bringing this full circle, I am starting to get the idea that the reason relationships seem so integral to PSI is that of course relationships are so integral to genetics in humans, as Kiara so ably noted.

So for me, the next step is to figure out how to overcome the built-in fear of PSI, just like some people overcome their fear of snakes or mimes. I am attending a presentation at the Rhine Center (see how I work in these plugs) by Dr. Larry Burk on Emotional Freedom Techniques to improve PSI, on Friday. Perhaps retraining with the inner consciousness that mediates PSI info will help.

What if PSI events occur to increase reproductive potential? Since PSI knows the future, it would be able to discern whether knowledge of the future would help or hinder its genes. Lord knows if I had unchecked PSI, the sorts of mischief I could get into.... but the inner consciousness does know, so it gives me info when such info would help. That would help explain why PSI doesn't jump in at the last minute to save everyone, because death and injury may actually help the genes in some instances, and if you read my aforementioned blog, you see how it does. How it helps may seem counter-intuitive to your ego-consciousness, but your inner consciousness, via PSI, does know. And if its the genes that are using PSI, and not your ego, then they don't give a diddly-squat about your life, relationships, nature, nurture or those damned scary mimes.

Benton

Staff member
But now that you mention it, it does then make sense that as a species it is advantageous to be afraid of PSI amongst us. It certainly makes sense for MY genes in the short term as well as the long term to show up at your cottage with me and the rest of the townspeople with our torches and pitchforks to call you lots of names and kill you, if you have unusual PSI skills.

So, again, given that fear of PSI, and other biologically mediated limitations on PSI skills are born in us, how do we get around these restrictions? Should we? Can we?

Kiara

Benton said:
So, again, given that fear of PSI, and other biologically mediated limitations on PSI skills are born in us, how do we get around these restrictions? Should we? Can we?

YES

Yes, We should

Can we? - I hope so.

And maybe they are not restriction, maybe they are missing connections.
Can I ask a question?
- How many of us, here, have some degree of Synesthesia?

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Benton, I thought about this for awhile, your good point about the 'danger' in social terms of being psi.

I don't think it's genetic (the fear). Reason: it takes a helluva lot longer than that for evolution to adapt the human body to things. We aren't even adapted to the grasses (grains) we've been eating for 10,000 years. We probably aren't adapted to the social reaction to psi that has existed for a few thousand. And of course, it is not always a danger; even in the same cultures that killed people for it, often others in other territories were fine, or the herbalist-slash-psychic on the hill was killed at one point of local hysteria, but not until after 25 years of positive feedback of people coming to her for help. a) 25 years would surely account for more overall energy than one bad afternoon that ended worse, and b) she didn't have any children after dying (...) so that couldn't pass on.

If you see what I mean.

I suspect it could be something developed from birth onward though.

A friend suggested to me once that we learn to narrow-down and define our reality based on parents and others we model, from birth onward. What we are allowed to perceive, both in the major senses and information, the limits on time, etc. may be modeled, as we learn by 'fitting into' what we sense is perceived by others. This would make sense I think, and it would be a survival skill. It could also create a rather fundamental resistance to breaking those boundaries.

One time my daughter, when little, crying over a scary dream, said, "I don't want it to be real. I don't want it to mean anything. I'm scared of it! I want it to be just a dream." and I realized she had just encapsulated a good chunk of Western man's problem with both 'the subconscious' (so-called) and psi in general.

PJ

Red_Star

Benton said:
Its a term that gets mentioned regarding why we don't see more PSI in the world. We are afraid to be psychic? Why?

If its your conscious, egomind that is causing all the noise that drowns out the RV data, or eagerly overwrites the info with AOLs, then why is that egomind so afraid of the RV? If the egomind's job is to plan out future success, you'd think it would be enthusiastic about PSI.

If you think about it, there are lots of good reasons for the fear of PSI, and since the egomind is designed to anticipate and plan, it is the best candidate for figuring out what needs to be feared.

Or worse yet, what if your subconscious(s) also are thinking about the repercussions of your 100% accurate RVing skills?

What is there to be afraid of?

If you could RV 100% accurately, what would you do? What chain of events would that start? What would happen to you, your family. What would others do if they knew you had 100% accuracy?

If "Fear of PSI" is real, and such an impediment to RVing, it needs to be dealt with before anything else we do to improve our RV performance.

Or is this one of those things best left not talked about?

I would purposely get a few wrong just so that I don't get 100%, so that there's an margin of error. As far as genetic mutation yes, this exist. I have some physical abnormalities but you wouldn't know just by looking at me. I have used these physical advantages in various sports, as it gives me an wider angel and much more torque than the average person. Useful in sports such as volleyball, baseball, bowling, MMA (arm-bars don't work on me), boxing and even swimming. The mutation is what lame-man call "double jointed" but scientist still know very little about this mutation. I have relatives that are double jointed in the knee, giving them similar advantages with sports and activities that require extra torque and strength in the lower body, it's genetic :)
As a matter of fact I owe a lot to my cousins that taught me a lot about the extent of PSI ability. By showing me what they can do, it's expected that I am able to do something similar to them and slowly but gradually I am able to write kanji characters like they can, very recently again.
They were able to write characters describing the target and scene, use telepathy to flash images and intent into an viewer's mind and probe into people's minds to "feel" and see what they are thinking.
At first I was skeptical of their abilities but after watching them and receiving an crash course training, I am pretty confident with enough practice I can achieve that point. Mind you they've been doing this much longer than I have. :eek:
Recently I was at a Cafe, I sat down next to a group of women to my right and to my left was two men. Something didn't seem right, so I decided to test out my telepathy. I simply focused on the woman, closed my eyes as usual and I saw an link between her and one of the men sitting down, the link was blue and it literally stretched from her like a bond to the man. Yet they acted as if they don't know each other, soon enough the man excused himself from the table and the woman followed a few seconds afterwards reaffirming the "bond" or "connection" I saw.

If you were to get 100% there is no doubt there would be genetic experiments awaiting you, extraction of your blood to analyse it for abnormalities, would be completely expected. Experimental drugs would be used on you like an lab rat test subject, to gauge your response. Also they would experiment on you to find out how to block this ability because it would be naive to think that they would allow such an unchecked perceived threat to go just like that? I would assume that some form of "control" would be executed to quarantine the "subjects"(yep you are no longer even considered human but rather labeled an "subject").

Why be afraid of being Psychic?

Well for starters, I don't know about you guys but these abilities began manifesting itself and "visions" became stronger around puberty for me. I still remember my first vision, it wasn't pretty but it involved an war scenario. You never forget your first vision. During the teen years puberty is awkward enough as it is, throw in PSI manifestation makes things more complicated.
I know of someone that had the potential for PSI ability but it was too much for her. She just wanted to be "normal", so she took measures and arranged to have these abilities taken away(yes you can have it stripped from you if you wanted to). Like an radio reception antenna you can severe the link making the transmission and reception useless. This was a life changing decision and I respect her for making that decision as horrible as it might be, but there's no going back from that. Once it's gone, it's gone for life. :(

Don't even get me started on why people have a bit of fear of psychics.
Imagine being in the same room as someone that can track you via, phone number, date of birth, social security number, e-mail address, IP address..etc. even via picture and even just focusing enough on the very image of you, probe your mind and get inside your personal head space, creepy isn't it? That's why I don't tell people I can do these things, though it is fun when I can track them via username useful to halt internet trolls!

Joe_Black

Humans fear change. What I did and knew yesterday kept me alive, if too much changes at once, its way to scary.