Films depicting RV

Reasinre

I've done a cursory search in the forums and I haven't found a thread about this.
What movies do you know that depict RV (hopefully in a semi-realistic manner)?

I've found that they usually surround RV in mysticism and fear (The Gift) or humour (The Men Who Stare at Goats). What other stuff is out there?

Thanks!

Suspect Zero is another. Like Men Who Stare at Goats, at least one ex-mil was involved in making it.

Semi-realistic? Mmmm...Suspect Zero is closer than Goats, which is a farce.

Minority Report (not explicitly linked with RV) has people in a state of sensory deprivation, similar to Ganzfeld technique. Won't say more in case you haven't seen it. :)

If anyone knows of others, I'll add to 120+:
http://www.mprv.net/one20.html#MOVIES

Jon

Lu

You keep a track, eh? ;D

Will check on one of these "movie" days. There were some TV shows too, which obliquely contained some refs, though mostly in the grand scope of "paranormal". If I see something you may be missing, I'll make a note to you.

plodder

The "Agents of SHIELD" tv series the past couple of years had a shadowy character who was not seen on camera for many episodes called "The Clairvoyent" who seemed to have psi abilities, knowing where certain people would be at certain times, stuff about them, etc. it turned out that it was all from having a traitor high up in SHIELD (who as a Hydra infiltrator) who used access to files and access to technology to mimic what a psychic or remote viewer would do. It was pretty interesting as even some smart folks were wondering if it was real psi or not.

tbone

I used to watch Agents of Shield. At the time the team was adamant that there were no known psychics. There were several shows at the time saying pretty much the exact same thing. I think I even posted something to that effect at the time.

plodder

Agents of SHIELD is such a well-done show. And despite having some guest appearances by Asgardians and having Inhumans on the show, they do have a certain internal logic to the show. I wonder if a premise they would explore sometime is that someone who is an extremely good psychic might choose not to reveal that--even if the psychic was a pretty good person, he or she might not want to be tagged and monitored by SHIELD or anyone else so would make sure not to pass any sort of psychic testing with flying colors.

I once saw an episode of Law and Order in which remote viewing played a central role. The plot centered around how a murder suspect "found" the body of a murdered woman. (I believe the woman was his girlfriend, though it's been so long since I saw this I am hazy on the details.) During questioning by police, the man claimed he had seen the body during a remote viewing session.

Fast forward to the trial. The district attorney "destroys" this alibi by arguing that remote viewing is obviously impossible and so the suspect must be guilty. The jury buys his argument and convicts the suspect. Case closed--everyone "knows" ESP is impossible.

As someone who has followed RV research since the SRI program of the early 1970's, I found this episode disheartening to say the least. The a priori assumption that RV is impossible and that no reasonable person ever questions this just left me empty. My opinion of the show, or at least the writer(s) of this particular episode, fell quite a bit after viewing this.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
That's a true story you know. I saw it on a news-style TV show once.

There was a man who had a vivid dream while sleeping next to his girlfriend/wife of a woman a few apartments away being raped and murdered. Then it turned out she had been. He told the police about his dream which was very detailed, and they decided nobody could possibly know those details but the murderer, and he went to prison. That was that.

I wish I had more info on this -- but it was a good lesson.

PJ

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
P.S. I always thought the X-Files were going to come around eventually and that one guy was going to turn out to be a viewer -- showing up at just the right time, things like that. It didn't pan out as I hoped and his character died.

Kiara

PJ said:
That's a true story you know. I saw it on a news-style TV show once.

There was a man who had a vivid dream while sleeping next to his girlfriend/wife of a woman a few apartments away being raped and murdered. Then it turned out she had been. He told the police about his dream which was very detailed, and they decided nobody could possibly know those details but the murderer, and he went to prison. That was that.

I wish I had more info on this -- but it was a good lesson.

PJ

That is why I didn't even thought of touching the "Maddie thing "... I'm not that good any way but if by one in a million chance I got something concrete .... I have too many relatives in the area ... I would never put them at risk.
Then in 2012 I was tricked in to viewing it :mad: ... in a dojo mission.

Returning to the movies/tv subjetc:
- the TV series Dead Zone has 2 episodes dealing with RV (but they are over the top 8))
You can watch them online:
1st - http://thewatchseries.to/episode/the_dead_zone_s2_e16.html
2nd - http://thewatchseries.to/episode/the_dead_zone_s3_e5.html

- The tv series John Doe was just starting to get it to the RV (the main character discovered he had that ability) when it got canceled.

plodder

The new Marvel Netflix series "Jessica Jones" has a villain with psi abilities. But it is more like influencing than viewing. He can take mental control of people. I started watching some of the episodes while in bed sick this weekend. Really good show.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the trailer for that. Very dark! I don't mind psi stuff but I utterly detest mind control stuff, so I won't be watching that. I guess it's one of those plot elements that just totally turns me off.

On the bright side we have a few episodes of the X-Files coming back and I'm such a nerd I'm totally looking forward to it.

PJ

plodder

I finished watching all 13 episodes of Jessica Jones. It was absolutely incredible. There were some dark and intense moments along the way but that final episode sure made it worth the ride. A Marvel hero named "Luke Cage" who was one of my favorites in the comics years ago (Power Man and Iron Fist/Luke Cage, Hero for Hire) is in about half of the episodes and will get his own Netflix series pretty soon. Then, eventually, the Marvel Netflix plan is to have Daredevil (who already has had his excellent Netflix season 1 out), Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist (who will get his own Netflix series first) form a group called "The Defenders"

Omega

Euphoria = Hitting the Target !! : )
Greetings all,

The one that has not been mentioned is... PUSH

They are called "watchers" but this person does RV, also the opening credits and scenes are worth
slowing down and viewing, as there is some truth contained within ~!

Rick

mscir

I'm a huge scifi fan, I'll watch any scifi, good, bad or ugly. I liked this movie. I wouldn't call it a great movie, but it's definitely worth watching.