Gary Langford's RV Teaching Method

Greywolf

Hi Gary, it's a pleasure having you with us.

I would second Tunde's question, and ad a classic RV question of my own, since I would be interested to hear your view on it.

The infamous question of whether RV is talent-limited (like Joe McMoneagle states) or practice-limited, meaning, a skill that anyone can learn, and with enough practice, and perhaps even some good training, be able to master (this is the view of most RV training organizations). A lot of othe RVers fall in between, believing it is a learnable skill, but also that talent, like any other skill in the world, has a very signficant influence.

And if I may add one more question, Dr. Ed May stated in a recent interview here on TKR, that he doesn't believe any RV method has been found, through research, to be better than any other. (don't quote me on the exact words, something of that nature). Do you agree or disagree with him?

Thank you for your time,

sincerely,

Greywolf

morgan

Hi

just wanted to thank you for appearing and offering to talk to us. It is great to be able to meet you in person. (well... great.. and very slightly indimidating.. but great nonetheless!)

a few questions that occurred to me, or observations..

How have you found social support structure, family, relationships etc to relate to viewing performance? Have you noticed any optimal situation?

you are adamant that practice is important to improvement. other people who have talked at tkr have suggested that practice is irrelevant and doesnt facilitate improvement at all. this seems initially to present a problem. Is it possible you are talking about different measures of psi. It seemed at the time that the frame of reference of this person might be in CNS-measured psi (a.la bunnies in submarines.. entirely involuntary) and that this would explain the irrelevance of practice. However you seem to refer to a process akin to the learning of a new language whereby associations between sensations and concepts are reenforced repeatedly over time.
feel free to jump in if i have misunderstood.

(annoying personal advice bit) I type sessions straight into the tkr matrix. do them 'live', so to speak. unfortunately this effectively removes the whole ideogram and sketching process. (although i am trying to bring sketching in now, i find that switching between software programs is mildly annoying and it makes me slightly averse to doing sessions.). What i am asking is your view on whether the restriction of data to language-only format is going to only seem to strengthen conceptual data retreival but in reality will do so only at the cost of dimensional perception? i.e. is this going to eventually sabotage my signal contact to the extent that i misinterpret structure and conceptuals degrade?
if so.. (I have messy handwriting, i hate handwriting in fact and i am not really big on paper hanging around the place covered in scribbles either. ..sometimes i sketch on paper, but then it is not connected to the online session either and just gets binned after FB.) Do you have any suggestions for programs to use to sketch with a tablet? or any suggestions at all, really..

The report seems straightforward and easy to read, very interesting. much of it seems to fit the impression i had gathered so far from reading and personal experience. but there is one little thing that kind of worries me. the information is 20 years old. Is there newer more detailed information avaliable anywhere? have you continued your research or what are you looking at now? would it be possible to access updated information. It would seem that if this is your perspective of 20 years ago.. it might be very interesting to know what you think now..

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
other people who have talked at tkr have suggested that practice is irrelevant and doesnt facilitate improvement at all.
I have never seen that said. Must have missed that thread.

Is it possible you are talking about different measures of psi.
I recall the question once coming up here regarding research. It appears no research shows improvement in quantity of 'target contact' (e.g., being 'on target' about 70% of the time early on, may be the same years later, using a science judging model here), but the detail of sessions themselves (data quantity, quality, complexity, etc.) certainly changes radically with practice.

I've yet to meet a viewer who doesn't think practice (consistent, and long term of it) is profoundly important to results. I've met viewer-claimants who imply that, though. (E.g., Ed Dames insisting to Art Bell that after a week of training his students would be 'better than the best psychic who ever lived', easily able to predict the next major natural disaster, etc.)

But if he's lucky, Gary's been living in some reality where he doesn't have to hear all about E.D. everytime he turns on his computer... ;D

Later today I will go review what daz posted from the archives as Gary's methods, as I haven't looked at them yet. I do believe this was one of the many methods researched in the mid-1980's, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best,
PJ

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
I sent an email to the email address you registered with Gary. I'm just posting a note here to let you know to look. Best, PJ

Don_Williams

Gary,
It's kind of you to agree to answer our questions here. Thank you. I have many areas I'd love to discuss with you but I'll keep the list short and try not impose on your time too much.

(1). How often do you practice? Is there any pattern as to the types of targets, or the frequency of each, that you use for practice? (future, historical, emotional, abstract, etc.)

(2). What personal factors (mental state, diet, frequency of practice, stress, etc.) do you feel has the greatest influence on your accuracy and/or the depth of information you perceive?

(3). What is your basic approach in each session? For example, do you try to aim for particular sensory perceptions such as taste, smell, sounds, first? Building into visuals and then abstract data as the session progresses? Or do you just allow the perceptions to come as they wil, of their own accord?

I really enjoyed reading the method you developed which has now been declassified. It seems to provide a nice balance between too much stifling structure on one hand and not enough on the other. I'm sure many people would be greatly interested in hearing more of your thoughts about remote viewing. If you ever decide to post any essays or other information regarding RV on the internet, be sure to let us know!

Thanks,
Don

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'd just like to confirm that the gentleman here claiming to be Gary Langford, is indeed 'The' Gary. FYI he was one of the earliest viewers in the sequence of projects now called the stargate program, in the earliest days when only a few people (such as him, Swann and Price) were doing viewing. He's a nice guy and serious about psi and if you take the time to ask good questions I bet he will give good answers.

He is best known for being a very private person, so it's not only novel but amazing he is willing to come out in public--briefly --and open himself for questions. I encourage y'all to ask him not just about his methods in the stargate archives, or his own viewing, but about anything that you maybe would like to have asked a trainer in the existing field, but couldn't, wouldn't, or they didn't have an answer for. Gary's been viewing at a level most of us would like to attain "someday"... since the early 1970's.

He is busier than he thought, I think, and he's asked me if I'd be willing to just take his answers via email and post them on the board for him. Since I'd rather him have time and us get the answers, I said that'd be fine, it's at his convenience and all.

He won't be around forever so do the archives and the viewers of the future who aren't here to ask a BIG favor, and make the time to come up with some good questions for him.

Best,
PJ

Ghoul

Hmmn, I must get my hands on that manual.. it will assist in my plans for World Domination! ;)

R

restful

This is great and I'm sure he'll be around longer than most of us PJ LOL :)  I've only been doing this a few months so I've been wondering about this.

Do you think you need to go to alpha or theta to do a good session?

Next...some folks think you have all the information you need within you.  The information is from the cells themselves so to speak and when you sleep at night (or go to alpha or theta), if given the right "trigger", your mind (or human intelligence) goes to every conceivable source of information it's ever had access to and finds the solution for you. Not just from your life or brain cells but all the way back to where it (human intelligence) came from searching for answers. What is your belief system with this?

So I guess my question is...does all information come from "outside" or does it all come from within or a mix?  

Hope this makes sense and thanks for taking out the time to answer questions for us.

Brayden

pjadmin

Owner, Dojo Psi
Staff member
On behalf of Gary Langford

I have entrusted Palyne Gaenir to post my responses to your questions. I am pleased to read your questions and hope you find my responses useful. I will take advantage of your questions to provide additional comments about the process, the field, and my current work. Gary Langford

Responding to: Greywolf

RV is talent limited. Pick up a basketball and practice everyday at shooting baskets. Try out for the NBA. You might get the nod. You might get the sod. You must have some degree of talent.

RV is practice-limited. Don’t pick up a basketball and never practice at shooting baskets. Try out to join a professional basketball team. See above for results with beginner’s luck. You must practice.

RV is situational-limited. It is difficult to practice playing basketball on a football field. You must work in an environment that is conducive to the task.

RV is goal-limited. If you don’t believe you can make a basket, then you probably won’t. You have to set your goal high enough to succeed and you have to believe in yourself.

RV is emotionally-limited. If you can’t leave your personal life behind you on the basketball court, then you will be thinking about your personal life and not about making baskets. You should be reasonably comfortable with your life and not fret about the big and little things that irritate.

Can you RV when you are stressed? Yes, if you can relax and not think about your stresses.

Can you RV when you are driving? Yes, if you RV in short bursts. (not recommended, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do)

Can you RV when you are playing basketball? Did not work for me. I tried it and neither worked well. Perhaps someone can figure out how to do this.

Can you learn to RV? Yes. If I told you to write the letter paratofgoish, you would not have a clue what to do. If I showed you what I meant, helped you through some examples, gave you instructions on the theory, and worked with you as you practiced, then we would both hope that one day you would do it better than I.

There are many courses one can take to learn something. They are taught by many teachers. Some teachers are better than others. Some courses use better instruction materials that help you to learn faster and more comprehensively. Some courses are more fun (field trips, great food, and talented and nice people). Overall some courses are better than others. Better in the sense that you learn something faster or perhaps you learn something that another teacher didn’t teach. Some courses require you start at the beginning and to learn everything. Some courses are “finishing courses” that tailor the instruction to your specific needs. You can learn from both. However, the final result of the course is an examination of what you have learned. At that point the results of the various courses can be objectively measured. Depending on what the courses have emphasized and what tests are given, some courses will result in better accuracy than others. But as a general rule, Ed (May) is correct. No course has yet been shown to offer the best results for all tasks. All of the techniques have shown that the best RVer is the talented person who practices judiciously; takes care to work in a supportive environment without outside influences or stresses; and works towards an achievable goal. Here are a few examples of the sorts of tasks that could be tested:

1. Single target with one monitor (double blind with feedback provided) – independent judge tests for accuracy and precision

2. Multiple targets with no monitor (no feedback provided) – independent judge tests for accuracy and precision

3. Multiple targets with no monitor (feedback provided at end) – independent judge tests for accuracy and precision

So, what does one practice? You don’t practice what doesn’t work. If you know that chewing gum during your session distracts you from doing well, then don’t chew gum. If you can’t convert a glimmer of a thought into something real that can be described and discussed, then practice isn’t going to help. You should not try to get “lucky” and find the right answer. First you will need to learn how to convert that glimmer into something that you can work with. If there is a part of the process that hangs you up, then that is the part that you first need to get help in understanding. Then you practice. The talent part of the equation comes in when you figure out what makes the process work for you every time you do it. That is the talent – doing the same work each time to achieve the acceptable level of quality. Setting your goal is equally important. If you want to devise a means to find buried treasure, then you will set objectives such that when you achieve each of those objectives you will have achieved your goal. For instance, goal setting for finding buried treasure might go something like this:

1. Learn the issues of targeting objects.

. . . 1. based on anecdotal and associated references made by people who had contact with the objects
. . . 2. based on anecdotal references made by people who wanted to have contact with the objects
. . . 3.

2. Learn the issues of targeting objects with geographical references, with feedback
. . . 1. based on the biggest and most prominent geographical feature that you can’t miss
. . . 2.
. . . 3. Learn the issues of targeting objects with geographical references, without feedback
. . . . . 1. based on describing one object, with feedback
. . . . . 2. based on describing one object, without feedback
. . . . . 3. based on describing multiple objects, with feedback
. . . . . 4.

4. Learn the issues of targeting objects without geographical references, with feedback
. . . 1. based on one object at a time (assumption is that all target objects are related by an “event” and that the juxtaposition of the target objects is confined to a limited geographic area)

5. Test what you know on an object that someone else buried
. . . 1. again and again
. . . 2. fix what did not work previously
. . . 3. start over again
. . . 4.

6. Find Buried Treasure

The skills you learn increase your talent such that you will be able to accept a task (however difficult or easy) and piece together a process that will work. Some of the tricks you will learn will involve setting up “filters” that will help you block information that is unrelated to your task. Those “filters” can be used for other RV tasks and after several hundred or thousand tasks, doing an RV becomes infinitely easier. You should always require 100% accuracy in your work and accept nothing less. Of course life is unkind. You will improve and you will get better if you pay attention to the processes and the details.

Every RV task has a list of objectives that will build to a final goal. Sometimes the work is tedious and time consuming. Question is, do you want to keep trying to find buried treasure and never find it?

With Kindest Regards,

Gary Langford

W

Winter

That's probably the best written and most thought out piece of info I've ever read. I'd love to meet him oneday, not sure that'll happen somehow. But maybe, after many years perhaps I'll even be able to help him find some treasure. It's rather inspiring to know that there's some out there to find! I think I just need to start playing basketball on the court, rather than in the garden, which less face it, after years of doing so, i'm bound to be good at. I do find buried treasure, but am beginning to wonder if i'm the one who buried it! I'd be pleased if someone could pass on my thanks to Gary for me, this has been a great help and has truly opened my eyes.

Thank you very much

W ;)

morgan

Hi,

first of all - thanks for the reply, was very informative. One thing though - I noticed some deletions/missing parts..

2. Learn the issues of targeting objects with geographical references, with feedback
. . . 1. based on the biggest and most prominent geographical feature that you can’t miss
. . . 2. ********************
. . . 3. Learn the issues of targeting objects with geographical references, without feedback
. . . . . 1. based on describing one object, with feedback
. . . . . 2. based on describing one object, without feedback
. . . . . 3. based on describing multiple objects, with feedback
. . . . . 4. **************************

4. Learn the issues of targeting objects without geographical references, with feedback
. . . 1. based on one object at a time (assumption is that all target objects are related by an “event” and that the juxtaposition of the target objects is confined to a limited geographic area)

5. Test what you know on an object that someone else buried
. . . 1. again and again
. . . 2. fix what did not work previously
. . . 3. start over again
. . . 4. ************************

what happened here?

I have another question. Its not about method so it seems kind of out of place - but it has been bothering me for a while and i am hoping you will have a better understanding of the situation than anyone else i might ask.
are there any organisations, industries or research applications who are seriously interested in training/developing rvers in order to better employ them? i mean.. is there anywhere that would *pay* a viewer to view? is there a market for new viewers and how is it possible to get into it? (shrug) i dont know how to better express this.. what i mean is.. is there even a remote (excuse the pun) chance of being able to use this skill in a useful kind of employment (note..not *self* employment). I dread the thought of "nothing-will-come-of-it" its the thing that saps my ego, really.

you say above that 100% accuracy is neccesary to continue in this. What degree of detail is required in 100% accuracy? just to know where to set the bar, y'know? what information must a good viewer be able to reliably recognise?

thanks again!

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
The lines you added all the asterisks on... were blank ... I believe the idea was, "...and you fill in more here." PJ

daz

Remote viewer, author, artist and photographer.
Staff member
Fantastic response!

Straight to the point and packed full of information - thanx for taking the time.

all the best...

Daz

daz

Remote viewer, author, artist and photographer.
Staff member
Gary, I have a question.

In amongst Staragate Archives I uncoverd this document from consultants international - http://www.remoteviewed.com/files/consultants%20international.pdf
(Guys - I dont think Ive posted this on my site - sorry!)

whereby two days BEFORE the abduction of General Dozier consultants internation Accurately predicted the kidnapping and the day/year. When tasked with 'near future event of importance to the U.S'.

Were you involved in these sessions?
Can you expand on the seesions that led to the precog prediction (sorry I know its going back some)?
Was anything done with the precog data you supplied?

This for me is an awsome document/set of data and real quantative proof of a solid use of RV.

All the best...

Daz

Abstract_1dea

Gary,

In your research, what was the most productive practice schedule?

What would be a minimum proactive schedule to produce advancing results?

Since your document was produced in '86, have you found anything to revise that you did not notice before?

BTW, I too wish to thank you for taking time out of your schedule to particpate in this forum. I hope we can make it as fun for you as it is for us.

morgan

anything relating sleep patterns/cycles and rv would be interesting to me, as would any information about effects of diet or metabolism as they relate to rv ability to perform

marty

Gary,

Thanks for being here and sharing your RV experience/knowledge with us.

Do you have any suggestions for limiting the amount of displacement in ARV? In particular, in 2-choice ARV too often people will provide a good description of what turns out to be the incorrect photo-choice. The viewer's subconscious apparently has complete access to both photo-choices. How does a viewer "persuade-convince" the subconscious to describe only the feedback-target-photo?

Thanks for any insights you can provide to many of us who are working to apply RV using ARV.

Marty

W

wizopeva

Apologies in advance for the numerous questions I will now ask:

-What useful aspects of learning rv do you think are most neglected in most current training models?

-Do you know of any ways to effectively and reliably block information from a talented rver?

-What are your feelings about concensus analysis and track record analysis? (basically, any useful info about analysis would be most appreciated..)

-Do you believe that the analyst can have a retroactive effect on even a talented independent minded viewer's session or on the flip side, do you believe that a strong viewer can always maintain complete control over the direction of his/her session?

-Do you believe that significant forms of RI are possible and feasable? And if so, have you ever seen examples of such?

-What are your strongest and weakest rv skills?

-What methods of cooldown (if any) do you like to use before a session?

Thanx for any light you might be able to shed..
-Eva

pjadmin

Owner, Dojo Psi
Staff member
Palyne, Here are comments for Morgan (and all others):

Morgan

The social support structure that is needed depends in large part on your confidence in doing RV and in your willingness to discuss what you do. For the longest time (8 years) I did not discuss my RV, remaining very private about my work. I kept to myself and did not talk with anyone other than other people doing RV. Then I spoke to a few people and discovered that I could determine who would be interested and who would shun me BEFORE I spoke to them. That “game” spanned about 5 years. Then I published a book that predicted events. No one seemed to notice. I went on the radio to talk about RV. Again no one seemed to notice (or care). I decided at that point there was no need to keep my work private and began to speak to anyone who I thought might be interested and a few that I knew would not appreciate the discussion. Unlike other people doing RV, I kept very private about my work. Still do, except for a few very public discussions.

The support structure is absolutely unnecessary if you are strong-willed and want to share what you do. However, if you are intimidated by ridicule or concerned at all about what other people think of you, then it is best to keep closed about it. Viewing performance (I did read your question) and social structure is important IF you cannot eliminate the outside influence WHEN you do the RV. Throughout my phases (private, experimental, and very open) my performance was about the same, with the caveat that overall my work continued and continues to improve. I have been supported by many people WHEN I did the RV work. Some of these people were NOT initially supportive of my work, my interest, or my discussions afterwards. But even the most skeptical turned around after one session.

If you include your work environment in your social support structure, then there is an extra caution. Supervisors, board members, and subordinates DO NOT appreciate one of their own doing RV, (let alone publishing a book). And now you will begin to understand the reason for my privacy. When you decide that you do not care about keeping your job, feel free to go public with your interests. I have generally found that my supervisors would have no difficulty in firing me, even if they believed in RV.

Best way around the supervisor issue is to start your own company, fund it yourself, and never have public stock. Then you can hire your own support group.

The optimal situation is to be able to ignore the nay-sayers and do your work to the best of your ability.

Practice is extremely important to improvement. Practice keeps you honed on the skills necessary to work the RV process to its fullest extent. There is no hit or miss here. It is the process that helps to keep accuracy and precision in your work. If you miss a step, skip a thought, are lazy about protocol, or are just plain non responsive to those fleeting moments, you will not do well. By well I mean a level of accuracy and precision that is outstanding by any measure. There was a time when the statement seemed to be true, that is practice did not improve overall skill. That was because the overall skill was a smashing hit every 10 times; six descriptions that were reasonably well done; and three that you did not want to talk about (poor to absolutely no correspondence). That is to say, if your goal was to have one great RV in every 10 times at bat, you met your expectations. But if your goal was 10 out of 10, with an occasional 9 out of 10 great RVs, then practice makes all the difference in the world.

Without delving into what the RV process is (I’m writing on Tuesday night and still thinking about how to respond to your questions), the notion of learning a new language is only part of the RV process. Yes, there are fundamental things you must know to interpret and classify and categorize correctly. But RV is much more than just a new language. It is an amalgamation of processes, techniques, sequences, overlaid on a new language. It is a totally new experience that transform your interpretation into a viewing machine. Reliable, repeatable, and highly respectable with regards to accuracy and precision. When I worked on my first RV technique handbook and later the revised edition, the work was an idea with only a few years of maturity. That was 20 some years ago. Nothing from the original handbook remains in my work. But the antecedents of today’s work can be found there. Practice is not for the weary. Practice is for those who truly want to do better, who will change their goal to improve, and who will stick to what works only so long as the accuracy and precision satisfies their quest for target truths.

Ideograms and sketching are actually unnecessary, but useful for early stage RV work. The RV world seems to fixate on them because a few of us thought they worked. They do if your goal is 2 or 3 smashing hits out 10. By a smashing hit, I mean the target has given up all its truths and those truths are known to you in such a fashion that you can communicate them explicitly (i.e., no ambiguities). ANY person looking at a smashing hit would be “exceptionally impressed” and find your response to indistinguishable from the target at all levels of truths.

Yes, I continue my research and application of new theory. Finding the time to post the basis for my work will be difficult at this time. But here are a few highlights to serve as guideposts.

1. RV is the sum of many processes that stimulate the brain to provide information about a target. The first notion is to determine what is a target. Are the features of the target really the target, or is the relationship between an object and its surroundings the target. And therein lays the basis for my recent work. The essential feature of a target is its interface with other things. “Things” is used in the most general sense of the word.

2. The second notion is that processes do not have to be serially enacted. The brain is not a serial organ, thereby processing many things in parallel. However some of our functions are serial, such as some motor skills (e.g., writing). The “new” RV relies heavily on non-serial processes. A process may be sequential or may have discrete steps that, when looked at from outside the process, may appear to be independent. A process may be dependent or independent. An example of a process: envisioning a “trap” to snare data of a certain type or with a certain characteristic. I tune my senses to perceive (build a filter to detect: a spider if it strides onto a yellow piece of paper and then go to sleep. I set up a camera with a motion sensitive detector that will capture anything that moves onto the yellow piece of paper. Other color papers are distributed nearby the yellow paper and in the same plane as the yellow paper. I envision another mechanism (a switch) that will wake me up when the spider is on the yellow paper. RESULT: the camera records anything that moves onto the yellow paper. (Confirmed by a major research laboratory with 25 tests of various insects, and with 11 control conditions (air movement, etc.). One night everything falls into place – spider walks onto yellow paper, camera is triggered, I wake up and watch the spider crawl off yellow paper. Doing this while you are awake is significantly easier, by the way.

3. The third notion is that you can remember things completely and thoroughly by simply applying a “key”. All that is needed to recall the entire sequence is to recall that key. There are a great variety of keys, but all keys seem to be classified into 11 categories. An example category is the target’s interfaces.

4. The fourth notion is that you can hold about 7 independent thoughts for a short period of time without much practice. With practice you can hold about 20 independent thoughts for a much longer period of time. With a few years of practice you can hold about 50 independent thoughts for 6 months, then with a quick refresher for another 6 months. The point is you can train to remember the results of your RV in its complete detail without writing anything down. (No specific recommendation regarding software for tablets. I have a table and have never connected it. My plan 15 years ago was to use it for the same purpose you described.)

5. The fifth notion is that feedback is essential during training sessions, but extremely harmful during RV sessions. To RV multiple targets with multiple RVs it is essential to not rely on feedback.

6. The sixth notion is that the RV session should be of sufficient length to capture the target truths and no longer. Typical session lengths are 40 seconds in duration. Typical time between sessions is about 4 minutes. Six targets can be fully described in one hour.

7. The seventh notion is that all the previous six notions can be overwhelming if it were not for the fact: time was invented by humankind, it is not a natural component of, nor needed to describe target truths.

8. I know that the seventh notion requires much discussion, so let me sum up the eight notions by saying sequential, but non serial human functions are the natural venue for psi. To impose the constraint of using temporal architectures and constructs severely limits one’s ability to determine target truths.

Gary