Getting to "The Zone"

Brendan

I'm looking for some guidance on getting into the zone. I'm wondering if people could share how they get to the point where RV is best utilized - from start to finish. For now I've been using this visual where I'm at the top of a mountain and I hang glide off of it. My body with the hang glider goes one way and my spiritual side goes goes the other. This is when I find I am ready. But it doesn't always work so well. Does anyone know any other way? How does it work for you?

apache

You can use a pavlovs dog association thing when you're in the zone to help you get back into the zone. If you associate a certain image - sound - smell- whatever with 'the zone' then it'll come easier.

Sometimes just counting does the trick...

Apache.

daz

Remote viewer, author, artist and photographer.
Staff member
HI,
music (usually clasical as words tend to stimulate the mind too much) and breathing exercises - like a light meditation for about 5-30 mins. Then straight into a session.

daz

W

Winter

Getting to the zone, for me, is usually from going from very stimulating talk. About going from talking about sex, to talking about what i'll be doing in future sexual situations. Not only that, it's also from me going into describing what i'll be thinking in future situations. This then goes on to describe all day everyday situatations. Everyday seems to describe sexual thoughts that are in my head, not every of which are actioned. With this info, trying to solve a prob, i can see everything precicisely. 100o/o. You'd really have to meet me to know what i mean! Just as ghoul and GW has!

W :)

workerant

Lost, Out of sync., On a different wave length.
Brendan and everyone,

I try to be able to view when ever or where ever I feel comfortable. But if I'm trying to get really deep into the tasking, I like to start out with some Hemi-Sync and breathing. With this I will arrive at a feeling much like self hypnosis. At that point I'll concentrate on the task and do automatic right and left handed idiograms.

Otherwise, when I'm trying to do quick studies in the practice galleries anywhere, I just tune into my "gut" or solar plexus where I feel intuitive notions most clearly. It helps me to eliminate logical thought patterns and ignore the worldly mind.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Brendan,

I think it's different for each person, really. I have a hypnosis background, so relaxing in one way quickly--even if I'm very alert--is not that hard for me, though I'm rusty. But "progressive relaxation" qualifies as a basic light-state self hypnosis induction.

Alos, many people find bineural brain technologies to be helpful. I think my fave of those is some of Howell's "BrainSync" stuff, such as 'deep meditation'. They sell CDs online (google the company name). There is also a free or cheap computer generator for this tech--it's an entire 'field' of interest itself and many here are familiar with it--perhaps they'll jump in with more info. The Monroe Institute also makes some neat CDs of bineural tech (Hemi-Sync(tm) they call it) though I think one has to be selective as many of their disks are guided explorations or ambient music.

As far as RV goes, you don't have to be in any altered state to start, but the process itself usually gets you there. It doesn't have to be a woozy kind of thing though; some viewers can hold that state while walking around giving a lecture, like McMoneagle. I recommend any decent relaxation exercise--there are many on the internet--and then just doing it. Practice over time will improve that, as well as everything else.

Best,
PJ

morgan

hanggliding hm. what a neat idea..

winter...remind me to go look at some of your sessions...<s> sounds vaguely titilating.

I tend to be a person who finds it extremely easy to dissociate (which probably also means i'm highly suggestible i guess - as a downside) so i find that getting into that more alpha state is for me just like flipping a switch. i could be having a conversation and then immediately begin a session. I could be in the middle of a session, have someone call me on the phone and then go straight back into it. (well.. some days you're just not on signal no matter what but usually i dont have a problem aquiring signal immediately just by turning my attention onto it) its like theres two kind of directions - and you just flick onto the other one. like switching a train onto a different track. like altering focus from monitoring outside signals to monitoring internal signals. like.. both channels are kind of being monitored all the time but you shift a higher percentage of your attention/processing onto one or the other usually.

in a very crude and general way i often percieve the information i recieve in rv as somehow coming from a direction behind me. (kind of intrinsically *behind* though, it wouldnt matter which way you turned). but i dont know how much of that is conceptual and how much physiological.

if you stop the head chatter and stop paying attention to information from your environment and just attend to the signal like listening to something inside which will, in the sudden silence, start to suggest seemingly random ideas.

R

restful

This sounds strange but read the bible or instruction manual to something. If it bores you (or not) for some reason that's a fast way.

The Kelly Howell CD works great for me unless I fall asleep.

I don't like relying on outside sources but I do sometimes. With practice, you can get to alpha instantly, just next time your "there", tell yourself next time you want to be at this state of mind you will be. Keep doing that until it works. Just my thoughts.

Brayden

Brendan:

That little mental fantasy which you go through--the hang gliding--sounds remarkably similar to the mental exercises which some of the government's "official" remote viewers used to go through to prepare for their sessions. It sounds to me, though, that you are under the mistaken impression that you are going to experience a highly successful RV session every time. Well, that's not going to happen.

To me, ritual is important. I try to do the same thing every time. I feel this trains the mind so that, when I do X and Y, it knows to begin to get into the state of consciousness conducive to remote viewing.

I always go through a progressive relaxation exercise, alternately tightening and then relaxing the major muscle groups, from head to toe (actually, I think I go from toe to head!). But even more important is the breathing. I try to do the "belly" breathing which is taught in yoga and meditative practices. I very gradually slow my breathing somewhat. After doing the relaxation and breathing exercises for two or three minutes, I then start to blank out my mind. I go through this visualization exercise in which I try to picture a particular gray image in my mind--nothing else. At the same time, I try to think of nothing. This is the most difficult part--to still the always-active human mind.

If I am successful, somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes after I start, I will enter the zone and the image of the target will start to appear. Especially if the target is a 2-dimensional picture, and especially when I was just beginning RV, the images would flicker in my mind's eye.

Marv_Darley

Staff member
I`m much the same...relax, breathing exercises, empty mind, some Theta waves if needs be.

Incidentally...does anyone here use TM during cool off? I ask because I`ve been trained in TMing for a year now and whilst it`s wonderful to do on its own, I find it disastrous when used to `zone out` before RV. Of the six or sessions I`ve attempted having just come out of a 30 min TM session, ALL of them have had next to zero target contact. I`m wondering whether it shuts down or lulls the section of the mind required for RV data acquisition.

Marv

apache

Try raising the Kundalini up to the sixth Chakra and making a connection with that and the back of your head:)

(Don't go to 7th without very experienced supervision tho).

Apache.

Brendan

Thanks for all of the advice. I can't believe I didn't find this board earlier. There really are many ways to get to the zone. And the ones you've all displayed are so varied I don't think it matters after all. Being in the beginner stages I think it's easy to be mislead and as PJ said "you don't have to be in any altered state."

For now I've been using the visual of hang gliding because it is peaceful and relaxing. This gets me there. And just as my two selves separate I am usually able to find my target. But I've probably made the process more complex than it has to be in getting to the zone. Since RV is something almost everyone can do as I have heard it said, then maybe it's much simpler. Maybe this is the cause of my inconsistencies.

Thanks to all for the replies

workerant

Lost, Out of sync., On a different wave length.
Interesting input on TM Marv_. I've been wondering off and on about whether to learn that or not. I kind of like the more 'self hypnosis' stuff, but am not up to speed on TM.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
That's interesting Marv. I learned TM about 14 years ago, but I only used it constantly (2-3x/day) for about six months, and then off and on for another 6, after which I was doing other things instead. What I called "spacing out to no-time" (which isn't so much an experience, as a realization of something that must have just happened) they called "transcending". ;D

The brain is pretty complex. One EEG author suggests that we need a certain balance of the four major frequencies to be a sort of staircase from the deepest parts of our mind up to conscious so we can translate. It is possible that some meditations or relaxation techniques simply put us in a different space. Maybe one more geared for self-healing but less for RV, or one more geared for 'transcending' but less for RV, etc.

PJ

I noticed something about the zone this morning at work. Sometimes, it's totally out of my hands and I just have to go with the flow. I normally spend most of my time at work reading, reading several books at once, a chapter or two at a time and then switching. However, this morning I couldn't concentrate and ended up marking my place in 3 different books and couldn't get anywhere with any of them.

At this point I switched to RV on a target my friend had given me and was instantly there. I worked on it off and on for about 3 hours, and when I was done, I was able to get my focus back into the books again. As much as it's important to be able to consciously induce the proper state, it seems that sometimes you just have to go with the flow. To me awareness of my mental state (when control of it fails) is vital so that I can take full advantage of whatever it happens to be. Sometimes, it's just not a good time, and someone in there thinks I should be doing something else. There have also been times where I suddenly drop everything and say to myself, "I should be viewing, RIGHT NOW!" and then immediately do it.

feonixfyre

I agree, a person's mental state definitely influences him/her where RV is concerned. I find that when I've got the stupid daily (& emotional) things clogging up the plumbing I can't even get one detail of the target. That's becoming less and less frequent though--I think I am finally starting to be able to get into the "zone" just by deciding I want to be! It's not all the time, but yesterday morning was one of those days, I did two targets, and though one isn't bad, the other's great (have to share, here's the link: http://www.sciencehorizon.com/TKR/G/peanutview.cfm?ID=24973 .....ok, how do you actually MAKE it a link? LOL-sorry, will have to copy & paste...).

I think we've all felt that "need" to be RV-ing, I think that's when you know that it's starting to become part of you and not just something you do (or, more correctly, when you know it's a part of you and always has been and are finally accepting it completely).

EricT

BH, I edited your post to make the link work!

For me, I use some audio CDs, sometimes, but my last missions session I just grabbed my notebook and ran with it and had a good time. Its a matter of focus more than relaxation for me I find.

Whatever makes you comfortable I guess - just experiment and find what works for you!

Eric