i keep hearing a small hissing sound

T-bone

"Are you threatening me?"
I get that to, but with me it's all the time.  Saw the doc about it, he said I've got "tinitus??" Ringing of the ears basicly.  I hear it mainly when in quiet settings. Probably caused by my time in the military (being close to explosions, artilery, guns ect..)  

W

wizopeva

Doctors are comical sometimes. They act like just cuz they got a name for something, that means they actually KNOW something, LOL! Tinnitus is the name they use for when people say they hear ringing sounds or stuff like that. It was long assumed that it had to do with damage to the ear, especially because there seemed to be a selfreported commonality of illness like cold or flu before the onset of the tinnitus. I have no knowledge of any actually decently controlled statistics to support that though. But it is known that tinnitus is more common in older people and it's also believed to be more common in those with hearing loss.

It was also long believed that it was caused by incorrect signals being sent to the brain. However, several years ago, some scientist actually decided to check that out scientifically and surprise surprise, the 'sound' apparently orginated in the brain, not the ears. So it's literally 'all in your head.' But please don't ask me to explain that experiment cuz all I can remember is that it was super complicated and I had trouble understanding it even then.

But anyway, my point is they don't understand much about it. From a spiritualist point of view, it could easily be said to be your mind using one of the senses to tell you something. From a doctor's point of view, it could easily be said to be crappy ears (hopefully that wasn't to technical, hehe). I don't know if either is the case or if both things have something to do with it.

But one reason I care is because when I started my spiritual journey, I started hearing those sounds too and those who have studied kundalini might know they are a commonly reported side effect of k awakening. These days, if sitting in a quiet place, I can usually pick up several different types of sound depending on how/where I concentrate. There is one that sounds like the whine of a florescent light, one like water running through house pipes in another room, and one that sounds a bit like static hissing. Concentrating on one sound makes it sound louder and sometimes causes me to 'lose' the others. Or if I try to remember one sound, i can sometimes 'resurrect' it. I've also noticed that there is a really loud type of sound when I am in the mountains standing between large rocky outcroppings.
-E

T-bone

"Are you threatening me?"
Hmmm, strange. Now that you mention it, I have studdied and done kundalini work in the past. I worked with raising/lowering controling and creating with it.

From time to time I still raise it when doing healing projections, or hands on healing with one of my animals.

Stranger yet, I have learned to use this "ringing of the ears" during medatation, to give me a focal point to place my attention on, and help quiet the mind. Works like a charm too.

polkadotpuhjommies

.... don't be ambiguious with your intent ~
From a spiritualist point of view, it could easily be said to be your mind using one of the senses to tell you something
Without a doubt, the noises (hums of varying degrees of loudness and pitch) are signals to me...without a doubt. Believe me when I say that I have tested everything I know how to test in every way I know possible to test these types of psi things...BECAUSE, :p I started my psi life in total disbelief and denial.

When I started having all 'these things' happen to me, it really threw me a major curve and it took me years to accept the truth of it all..... and I MEAN YEARS.

I had a major kundalini opening years ago and still have them often, in less earth shattering ways, these days. Accepting these psi manifestations helps greatly in reducing the stress they can produce when all the effort is spent in trying to deny them and make excuses.

The noise, hums I hear are in direct proportion to the level of energy (vibrational rate) I am functioning in at the time. I have been able to identify about 5 particular types that are now understood by me. The more 'spiritually' involved (mindset, focus, intent) I am, the more I hear them and the higher in vibration they are.

One of the most interesting is when I hear Indians chanting.... (yes, I'm being serious)....this always means I am going to receive a message of importance...and so far, I have every time. When this goes on for days upon days however, it confuses me...others have given their opinions as to what such elongaged contact means, but that's what I take it as at this point .... their opinions. I won't know what it means until I come to my own conclusions. So far, I personally know that I have a strong native American Indian connection - always have had it since a child and others tell me many things regarding past lives about myself and Indians....again, nothing that I claim to believe, but that so many comment on the same things, of course, allows for an open mind on my part...

I have also found that one of my 'ears' is more prominent than the other...but I experience 'hearing' on both sides. The humming sounds of high frequencies can be so high they 'hurt'. I also hear words...speaking...

okay...now the cat is out of the bag... 'I hear things' :eek:

Wait until I let a few other of my cats out of the bags ;) ...I have quite a few ;D

I also have another physical manifestation of the kundalini...that of extreme body temperatures. Normally, I most comfortable in cool to cold conditions and have little heat tolerance...at 70 degrees, I'm looking for alternatives. As I said, this is my norm. At certain times, and I now understand the differences, I can go from almost feeling on fire (internally, with no outwards symptoms such as extreme flushing, moisture etc) to so freezing cold that the only way I can warm myself is to either run warm to hot water over my hands (where I feel it most frequently) or when the entire body is involved, I have to get into a shower with as warm of water as I can tolerate.

Ususally, these temperature manifestations are in direct relation to 'spirits'...but hey! .... that's another topic huh? :D

Eva... I can strongly relate to your comments...agreed.

shr33m

Are you sure you don't have any snakes around? :)

I'd always associated a buzzing sound as a prelude to OBEs. I found that kundalini activations were useful for that. After running that high voltage electric current up and down between the bottom of the spine and the head a number of cycles, it was easy to float out. Eventually just awakening it without moving it around was enough.

I also experienced that interesting phenomenon where you don't actually leave the body but your vision seems to somehow get situated outside of you and you can look at yourself from some distance away. This can easily get confused with OBEs.

waterway

Hey, I thought that "background noise" was natural, ie that everyone heard it. I don't have a constant sound that intrudes, but if I am in a very quiet place, I hear a background "roar", like a waterfall :p, or sometimes its like the sound of crickets..... I always assumed it was some neuron entrainment from my youth or something.... maybe I need to see a doctor..... :p

Seriously.... is this common or not?

Anotherdreamer

As far as I’m concerned, it is normal. That’s what I used the ommmm…. voice sound for …to override the inner noises.  Not the thoughts as noise, but the noise you are speaking of.  I don’t always ommm anymore because I jump easier than before but the sounds are still there if I choose to listen.  

White Noise Index
A hiss-like sound, formed by combining all audible frequencies. See also ganzfeld.
Ganzfeld Index
A technique for investigating ESP in which the person experiences an absence of patterned stimulation. This generally involves the subject wearing halved table-tennis balls over the eyes while listening to hiss (white noise) through headphones.
Are you doing that?

polkadotpuhjommies

:D :D :D

Doctors are comical sometimes. They act like just cuz they got a name for something, that means they actually KNOW something, LOL!
I was told I had a virus~ no doubt about it.... 7 months later, I named her Kelly ;D

polkadotpuhjommies

Weewizzard (Deb) wrote in the 'Spontaneous Involuntary Invisibility' topic:

Seriously, I'm reminded of that Star Trek episode where some of the crew is suddenly sped up and become invisible to the remainder of the crew except for the occasional buzzing noise by their ears. (This would be the ancient, original Star Trek for you newbies out there) and I've often wondered if people sort of 'time shift' or phase into a different frequency than those around them and suddenly just disappear from view? They aren't really gone, just out of phase?....
What about the noises we hear being that of time shifting/entering another dimension??? Anyone have any thoughts about this??

About the invisibility ~ when I have frequencies high enough and they 'buzz', I often feel lightheaded and as if I could be ready to OBE ~

W

wizopeva

I have also found that one of my 'ears' is more prominent than the other...but I experience 'hearing' on both sides.  The humming sounds of high frequencies can be so high they 'hurt'

Yeah, that's the other thing, the sounds I hear do not come from a side. THey sound like from all around. It's not just one ear, but both equally.

I also have another physical manifestation of the kundalini...that of extreme body temperatures. Normally, I most comfortable in cool to cold conditions and have little heat tolerance...at 70 degrees, I'm looking for alternatives. As I said, this is my norm. At certain times, and I now understand the differences, I can go from almost feeling on fire (internally, with no outwards symptoms such as extreme flushing, moisture etc) to so freezing cold that the only way I can warm myself is to either run warm to hot water over my hands (where I feel it most frequently) or when the entire body is involved, I have to get into a shower with as warm of water as I can tolerate.

Yeah, that was another side effect for me too. But mostly just the hot flashes thing. For a while, I would wake up every night just boiling hot. I couldn't understand why the weather would get so suddenly hot in the middle of the night, LOL! It seemed crazy. FInally, I bought a thermometer and found out it was my perception but the temp in the house was normal the whole time. I also noticed that at least some fo the time, the hot events came right after OBEs. Then I got a thermometer for internal use and found that although I felt broiling hot, my internal mouth temp seemed to be normal the whole time.

But it was weird that on some really cold nights, I would have hours in which I was comfortable with no covers on, until the event finally wore off and I started to feel the cold again. After several years now, the events have finally diminished. I rarely wake up boiling now and if I do, it's not as intense.

I can't recollect any cold flashes though. I generally do well in the cold compared to others.
-E

W

wizopeva

I think you are referring to what OBEers call 'the vibrations.' THose are usually experienced in a more intense fashion, not just a sound but a whole vibration of being. But I do suspect the phenomenon are related and it's actually the location of one's consciousness that is different. I remember in one OBE, I felt the vibrations but instead of having an OBE, I woke up. As I made the path to wakefulness, the vibes felt further and further way as if they were still ocurring but it was getting harder to hear and feel them.
-E

Are you sure you don't have any snakes around? :)

I'd always associated a buzzing sound as a prelude to OBEs. I found that kundalini activations were useful for that. After running that high voltage electric current up and down between the bottom of the spine and the head a number of cycles, it was easy to float out. Eventually just awakening it without moving it around was enough.

I also experienced that interesting phenomenon where you don't actually leave the body but your vision seems to somehow get situated outside of you and you can look at yourself from some distance away. This can easily get confused with OBEs.

W

wizopeva

Waterway, good question, I don't know if everyone hears it. Is there anyone who doesn't? I don't think I used to hear it at least. Or at least it wasn't that loud that I ever once thought about it. Knowing me and my introspective nature, I don't think I would have missed it if was occuring back then in the way it does now.
-E

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Well to me, a hissing sound is pretty new.

Now there is buzzing or roaring, which tends to accompany OBEs (or pre-OBE states).

And there are "tones" as I call them, very high pitched sounds, Seth actually said that had something to do with your state of consciousness at that moment, wish I could remember the detail; in any case, more 'awareness' tends to increase the 'tones'.

But I've never heard of "hissing" before this thread. :)

PJ

polkadotpuhjommies

Seth actually said that had something to do with your state of consciousness at that moment, wish I could remember the detail; in any case, more 'awareness' tends to increase the 'tones'.
This, as I mentioned, is my experience with the qualities/rates of vibrations...

But I've never heard of "hissing" before this thread.
heh heh.... sure ya have... as I recall, the 'Entrainment & Masking' thread was full of hissing... ;) smiling big here :D

wax

Nope...never heard any hissing.

I wonder...well its highly probable...that doing RV increases all the senses to higher levels...or to be more receptive. When I first discovered the Matrix in CRV...I was so awed.....every sensory descriptor became a piece of gold to me. I felt like I only knew six letters and someone just handed me a dictionary.

Over the last year I have developed really sensitive hearing...almost hyper sensitive, everything seems really loud to me. Also noticed I have become very sensitive to the tone of someones voice these days.
Big fan of silence :)

Had a few sound experiences...the first I can remember was in a locked house on my own, in a locked bathroom...I was thinking about something and I heard a womans voice distinctly say something...it was a statement and a piece of advice this woman gave me...who she was...where she was?

Then couple of years ago a friend and I were driving down the road, I was listening to him whistle...I turned to look at him...but he was just driving.

In both events I definetly felt I was hearing an external sound. Stake my life on it.

When I was younger it really confused me...I would get on a bus...by the time I sat down....I heard a judgement for everyone ...years I walked around confused....thinking....I don't think that...just couldn't understand where all these thoughts were coming from. Didn't realise till years later that they were not my thoughts....just picking up other peoples.

That was some of my first experiences down the road of Freaky...now Im on the path of Crazy...lol ;)

Sits back and listens to the chanting :)

polkadotpuhjommies

I've had this article for a long time and just tried finding a source....and can't. If unacceptable, I will remove it. :-/

The Bells of Paradise
Using Sound to Unlock Your Intuition

"I hear bells of paradise,
I hear them ring..."

Sound is extremely important to metaphysical and spiritual traditions throughout the world. Often, before an important insight is received or when we open to a spiritual experience, a sound is heard. This sound may whisper quietly or ring softly in your ear but, in some instances, it can be like a torrential downpour.

In the Western/Christian spiritual traditions, this sound is referred to poetically as the Bells of Paradise, or the trumpeting before the gates, the sound of mighty waters.

In Hindu/Yogic mystical traditions, this is the primal sound, the eternal OM. It is Krishna's flute silently calling to the devout.

This sound can be an important key to unlocking your natural intuition. It is associated with the sixth chakra, the subtle energy center called the spiritual eye of intuition.

The spiritual eye perceives the subtle light of creation. Through it, you can catch glimpses of past events, current patterns in people's lives, and likely outcomes in the future. This third eye is energetically located between the eyebrows. The spiritual eye is described as the solar or masculine side of the sixth chakra.

The sound you hear is usually deeper within the head, often at the base of the skull. It is the lunar or feminine pole of this chakra.

The more harmonious and open this energy center becomes, the more aware you become of the intuitive "movies" quietly playing before your vision.

But how do you learn to hear this sound if you're not already doing it? How do you hear a sound without an obvious source?

The key is silence, inner silence. Outer silence helps too, but sometimes awareness of the sound can be induced by mimicking it outwardly.

Try the following exercises until you find the one that best helps you to hear the sound.

Ring a small dinner bell softly until you hear its pure tone hanging in the air. Then set the bell down, close your eyes, and draw the resonance into you. Practice listening intently until you hear the soft tone within you.

Sit by the bank of a small stream or creek. Let the sound of the moving water wash through you. Do you hear a similar sound within you answering?

Listen to the symphony of crickets at night, if you have them in your area.

Wake up early and listen to the bright chattering of birds greeting the dawn.

If it snows in your area, stand in a field or empty lot while the snow falls all around you. The deep silence that falling snow creates can bring about awareness of this sound.

Do these exercises and listen quietly, without rambling thoughts. Some people will hear the sound almost immediately. Others will need to practice patiently, but it will come.

At first, the tone will sound far away, barely audible, like static, like the white noise of a television channel with no station on it. You may hear it first within one ear more than the other. When you first become aware of the sound, you may feel that the pressure shifted in your head, like you've just yawned or stepped out of a swimming pool.

Try to pinpoint the sound. Where does it seem to emanate from within you? Most people come to identify it as coming from the base of the skull.

Practice refining the sound. Learn to tune into it more clearly. The static-like quality will change when you really listen to a more pure, resonant tone.

As you learn to do this, let the sound permeate your entire awareness, ringing quietly through your body and your mind. Breathe in this silent sound. With each inward breath, draw the sound deeply into your being. And with each exhale, feel its ringing resonance within you. This sound can quiet and purify, slowly blessing you with more clarity on all levels.

As you practice these exercises and meditations, your thoughts will hold more clarity and your "guesses" more accuracy. This is the beginning of intuition. With more practice, you may start to catch pictures and moving images playing before your eyes; you may even hear words spoken quietly in your inner ear.

This isn't as strange as it may sound. Remember that everyone is born with intuition, but most of the time we are not taught how to use it.

W

wizopeva

Over the last year I have developed really sensitive hearing...almost hyper sensitive, everything seems really loud to me. Also noticed I have become very sensitive to the tone of someones voice these days.
Big fan of silence  :)

I've noticed that too. I didn't use to notice a lot of the tiny little noises that come from the computer, tv, lighting, etc. I've had to work to learn to ignore them again. Voice tone too has become much more obvious to me. It's weird cuz it's like that knowledge was always there in me but I think before I used to ignore and discount it whereas now I'm paying more attention.

Then couple of years ago a friend and I were driving down the road, I was listening to him whistle...I turned to look at him...but he was just driving.

In both events I definetly felt I was hearing an external sound. Stake my life on it.

I've had a few of those once in a while. I'll hear someone saying something but then look up to realize their lips aren't moving. Upon checking, it always turns out they were thinking it. It seems to happen mostly when it's the kind of thing they would want to say out loud anyway, as if they are projecting it more than their normal thoughts. I too always mistake it for a regular outloud communication when it happens. But analyzing right after the fact, I realize it does feel just a tad different than normal speach or communication. It seems to have a more rich and full bodies type of feeling in it that is a bit more than normal words can convey. Like if they are feeling and emotion, then it really comes through a bit more than normal.

But I think this also happens when I am in a very receptive mode and not in the type of state that would involve a lot of analysis of input to start with. Thus I just keep falling into the assumption that it's verbal when it isn't. It makes me wonder how many times I heard stuff as being out loud that weren't, and I never noticed it at all!
-E