Losing concentration, vague images

Dsmoke

I am new to this board and relatively new to RV. Please forgive me if I am asking a common question or something that's already covered.

I've been practicing remote viewing for a few weeks now on the TKR practice galleries, and I've had some pretty good sessions, enough to convince me that there's something to this. But I'm also discouraged because I'm not doing well with sitting still and concentrating for as long as I suspect it takes. I keep losing focus because I want immediate feedback. If I see an airplane, I want to know *right now* if it's right. This is a problem. I know I have to keep concentrating, but it's like my concentration dies as curiosity burns in my mind.

The other issue is that I keep running into fully developed snapshots of scenes, often that are vivid and in motion, and they are completely wrong! Or the theme will be vaguely correct, but not at all what I saw. For instance, there's this session 38241 (sorry, but I can't find how to link to it properly). There are certainly some thematic correlations, but this picture is NOT what I saw. What I saw was a very detailed snapshot of something completely different. Is this still indicative of success, or am I just reaching? The commenters are very kind and pointing out the correlations, but the fact remains that what I saw and what the feedback image is are absolutely different.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. Obviously, I'm not schooled in anything formal and although I'm currently reading the CRV Manual, it hasn't been particularly helpful so far.

Marv_Darley

Staff member
Hey Dsmoke and welcome to the boards. What you`re encountering are common problems to all remote viewers at all levels...just gotta work at it and keep practicing.

I keep losing focus because I want immediate feedback
You have to learn to bury this feeling. Basically it`s impatience and trust me you`re data will suffer as a result. Your ego constantly seeks gratification in the form of being told that it`s `right` and will therefore push you hard to prove that this is the case, hence the overwhelming desire for immediate feedback / clarification.

The other issue is that I keep running into fully developed snapshots of scenes, often that are vivid and in motion, and they are completely wrong!
Same problem. Once again this is your ego stepping up and trying to assert its dominance by `showing you` what it thinks the target actually is. We call this AOL or `analytic overlay`...where the conscious mind pounces on an aspect of incoming and accurate target data and `fleshes it out` into a fullblown `snapshot` such as you describe. Very often there are elements of the target in these snapshots (hence their appearance in the first place) but essentially they should be treated as `dead-ends.`

Declare them in the AOL coulmn of your page, clear your mind and move on. By declaring them you are acknowledging their existence to the ego and thus `satisfying` its need to be heard. (You may also wish to return to these AOLs at the end of your session and probe to see why your mind presented you with that picture...what elements of the actual target are contained within?)

Having declared these AOLs, clear your mind, take a breath and move on. RV data is in general patchy and people coming at it expecting accuarte full blown mini-movies and photo shots of a target will be quickly disappointed. These DO happen, however...just takes an awful lot of practice to be able to discriminate between the good stuff and plain old ego-generated trash.  :D

The commenters are very kind and pointing out the correlations, but the fact remains that what I saw and what the feedback image is are absolutely different.  
Yeah they`re real kind over in the Galleries, which is what makes it such a lovely place to learn. Don`t be too critical of your sessions...sometimes someone else really will spot something in your session that you`ve missed that indicates direct target contact. Then again be wary of `forcing` your data to match its target. You`re only kidding yourself if you do this and your development will suffer as a result.  :p

what I saw and what the feedback image is are absolutely different.  
Bear in mind that it`s perfectly possible to hit some aspect of a target that doesn`t show up in the photo. Your target IS the target and not the photo after all. But at the same time don`t kid yourself like I said above. If the target is a space shuttle and you view a waterfall then you`re more than likely off...(or are you? energetics, downwards motion, a roar etc ;))...just gotta trust your own judgement. Believe me, when you hit target you will know.

I'm currently reading the CRV Manual, it hasn't been particularly helpful so far.  
It will be, I`m sure.

All the best and happy viewing,

Marv  :)

Dsmoke

Thanks for the suggestions, Marv. However, I'm uncertain about writing down all these AOLs. I see so many of them - there is literally no time between images so I am seeing dozens, perhaps hundreds of of them, depending on how long I let the session go. It is truly a moving stream of images. Should I treat this like stream of conscious writing and try not to be embarrassed at the huge pages of worthless info that I come up with?

Marv_Darley

Staff member
Sounds to me like you just need to do a little practice away from RV simply clearing your mind and achieving the `blank slate` state. It really does help if you can reach a stage of no-thought before beginning your session, as hard as this sounds.

I used to practice by visualising a tennis ball and slowly rotating in in my mind for as long as I could though you could think up any number of techniques. Concentrating on your breathing is another option.

It really does take practice, as simple as it sounds. Vital though...control those thoughts. Start your session with a blank space in your mind and those target perceptions become all the easier to spot when they start appearing.

Marv :)

energycritter

energycritter@y ahoo.com
Hi Dsmoke....maybe something that has occasionally worked well for me will work for you...?

I try and recognize target data as being unique in the way it feels inside of me when it becomes a part of my awareness during my session. Kind of like mentally tasting something...

I have no idea how to discribe this feeling, but, it is always in contrast in one way or another from the feeling data has that I know belongs to non-target data or is self-created data.

I think all people have a fairly repeatable and consistant way that there own self-created data feels internally and if you can recognize your's then you can possibly, by process of ellimination, recognize other data that then could be target data...

I have had sessions that did not contain this feeling of non-self-created-data at all and I knew the session was going to be a bad one....but, during most sessions that contained this feeling, the data was decent enough for me to associate the feeling with the target data.

I tend to look for this feeling and press into the session/target in search of such feelings and while doing the pressing into, so to speak, I inadvertantly alter my internal state of being as I search and the target data has been fleshed out a bit by doing this....but, it is an internal search that does not prevent thoughts, it seems to be simply a way of catagorizing them as they come and go kind of thing... ::)....I dunno.... :-/

I guess an over-simplified explination would be that if the data was something to do with Fruity-Peebles, a cereal that I have eaten recently, but, if it was my breakfast the day of the session than it would have a feeling that I would recognize as not being target data. Even data that does not closely match a true realized recent event type of thing can have a feel to it, but, it does not feel the way that my target data should feel. OK, this is not helping much, I do not think, but...

Maybe you can allow the data or AOLs to flow and simply feel each of them as they flow by and see if any feel different in someway, maybe there will be a unique feel that you are able to eventually assign to your target data awareness feeling that is different from any and all self-created data/AOL type of stuff....and, then again, maybe not....LOL.... :-/

Either way, you will obviously need to find your own way to determine during your session what data is what....and that is where you may eventually assign different ways of recognizing the different types of awarenesses that come and go during a session. For me it has been a type of internal catagorizing thing, so to speak....I dunno....oh well...

I guess I use feelings a lot and that seems to be why some of my sessions contain human emotion accuracy and less details about the actual structural aspects of the target....oh well....good luck to you.

Dsmoke:

Marv is right--you need to work on quieting your mind.

In February of 2005, I attended a workshop at the Rhine Institute in which the speaker was Joe McMoneagle, the legendary remote viewer. One of the things which Joe told us was that he had been tested by a Japanese neurophysiologist who found that Joe was able to shut down his mental processes to a far greater extent than any other human tested. It is my belief that this is one of the main factors behind Joe's incredible remote viewing ability.

Everyone has their own techniques, of course. Here is what works for me.

(1) I begin with a period of progressive relaxation during which I alternate tensing and then relaxing the muscle groups of my body. I do this for around five minutes. As I start to feel myself relax, I then start to get my breathing involved. I concentrate on my breathing, and I very gradually start to slow it down. This seems to be the key for me. As I focus on my breathing, I just naturally start slowing down my mental processes and quieting my mind.

(2) About 5 - 10 minutes into my cool down period, if I am feeling nice and relaxed, I try to complete quieting my mind. Usually by this time it's somewhat quieted, anyway. Now I usually create a mental image of a large, gray wall. The extent to which I am able to do this is often an indicator of how successful my session is going to be. After I blank out my mental images I then start to ask my subconscious to show me the target.

Most of the time, it is the first images I receive in my mind's eye which are related to the target. I have found that if I go much beyond a half-hour total session time then my mind starts playing tricks on me and embellishing the images with "junk".

Definitely practice quieting your mind. Try some simple meditation techniques. Try to gradually extend the period of time during which your mind is quieted, or blanked out.

Marv_Darley

Staff member
Nice, Banded_Krait...I couldn`t have put it better myself. Your cool-down technique is pretty much exactly the same as mine. :)

I think the initial body-awareness method is a great way of deflecting one`s attention away from thought long enough for the mind to start quieting itself down.

Interesting info on Joe McM.

Marv :)

Dsmoke

Thank you for the mind-clearing suggestions, everyone. I am almost embarrassed to say this, but mind-clearing is something I do every time I do my daily meditations but I never thought to apply it to RV. I must have thought that it would push away images, but of course it will only push away those false images. I will try this and let you know how it goes.

T

talulah

I have a slightly different take that I have experimented with lately.

Whatever comes to mind-I describe it. No nouns. I 'try' to just stay with descriptors. Some of the stuff matches the fb but it's not what I 'saw' if that makes sense.

Still buggering around with it but try that a few times and see if it 'technically' fits the fb...but of course, I don't know (yet) where to go from here...

Talulah

fls13

There's only so much RV'ing one can do, but I'd recommend trying to focus on your focus ;D during any other tasks you carry out on an everyday basis. Find that flow state. Let the view come to you. Don't bear down too hard, but don't wander off either.

SkyeT

I was monitoring a viewer during a course once and the entire session, lasting maybe 15 mins, was really a dialogue the viewer was having with himself about his feelings about RV. I kid you not. It looked like an RV session, but it really wasn't about the target. I just let him run with it, figuring he'd finally run it all out and then get down to viewing. (Didn't really work out that way, but apart from stopping the session and showing him what he was doing, which wasn't a good idea, there was not much else I could do.)

I find that I sometimes get a lot of garbage at the beginning of a session, sometimes with recurring words or themes. I just accept it as my way of clearing the pipes. If I just don't take it too seriously and keep going, eventually the real data starts up. I don't do sessions very often, so the pipes have a lot of rust. :)

I think if you try to write down all that stuff (AOL's), you might just frustrate yourself. You can try to meditate or otherwise take steps to get yourself into a more receptive state, but if you are really having some anxiety or performance anxiety, I think sometimes that effort can make it worse. The more you try to quiet your mind the more simultaneous "conversations" you may find yourself having. Like trying to not think of a pink elephant...if you've ever heard that one.

I'd try to be very light and breezy about the whole thing. You will find yourself in a flow of data, but it will most likely be very fragmented. Odd or unexpected stuff tends to be right, especially when it doesn't arrive fully formed as a feature motion picture.

As for your impatience about getting feedback, join the club. You could try to train yourself out of that my insisting that you do multiple sessions for the same target over a period of a day or two. Just do 10 minutes at a time, but come back the next day and try to take another tack. If you know you won't get feedback for a few days, maybe you can just relax into the idea of doing a session for its own sake.

Dsmoke

Everyone,

I tried my meditational "mind-blanking" technique and prog. relaxation before RVing, and I'm happy to say that the onslaught of false images mostly stopped. It didn't make me any more accurate, of course, but at least I didn't have to deal with the confusion of image after image ::)

This can get frustrating .... please, someone tell me that they were terrible at RV when they first started, but they got proficient with practice. I feel so completely talentless. I'm usually ahead of the learning curve when doing new things - not here!

fls13

This can get frustrating .... please, someone tell me that they were terrible at RV when they first started, but they got proficient with practice.
Just the opposite. I didn't put a lot of stock in RV, and thought I'd give it a whirl. Some early success convinced me there was something to it. Not uncommon according to Joe McMoneagle. Those pretty good sessions you had early on with the TKR galleries might be the best you can hope for. It's never 100% accurate.

Refining my system hasn't helped me get any better, just makes the process a little easier. I think maybe the less you expect, the better you do. Don't try so hard. Just have some fun with it.

Dsmoke

Fls13, I can't help wondering if I am wasting my time on something I don't have much innate talent for, and if I'd be better off focusing my efforts on something I'm more suited for. If I might not get any better than my early attempts, well ... that's hardly going to be useful. I hope this isn't the case for me.

fls13

If you had enough success with the practice galleries to think there's something to RV, and I agree with you, then stay with it. But try to have some fun and try not to get so frustrated. I think you might be "squeezing the stick to hard" to use a hockey metaphor. Just relax and let it happen. Keep it simple and I think you'll be fine. ;D

basic

It all the flashes of picture running through my head..now that's hard to get through when the environment is charged with so much energy..I call that interference. Millions of bits of information of all the RV I had done.I listen to music..it a way to release some of it..I am a projector of thoughts which is hard cause it you happen to be a receiver you can pick up on things very quickly..However these thoughts of mine are..mostly junk like with anyones thoughts that they think..its totally illogical..and that side of the brain can never read numbers or names to make any sense of of anything..Drawing is good but try focusing on something with numbers and I am stuck.Any suggestions? I once joined a role playing group for writers..and I concentrated on it so much that it started to fall over to my reality...so I had to delete that..I thought it would be a great way to release some of the images..but oh well back to the scripting..

moonbeam

when l first started practising rv, l just got my partnet to draw image down on paper, and l would draw what he had drawn when it was working correctly. i kept doing this again and again over and over, also placing objects or paper into envelopes and then draw images of what came to mind. this does give you a accurate feedback as to how well your rv is going. good luck.

basic

You might have just picked up his drawings through the fact that you know him so well..but pictures in an envelope is a bit harder...when I try to rv I usually try and search for the information on the person who saw the picture..or placed it in the envelope..lol..if that doesn't work I just go with luck..