qi gong

EricT

Hey all-

I just started "Qigong Empowerment" co authored by Master Shou-Yu Liang and Wen-Ching Wu. Wondered if there were any other qi-gong'ers here on the tkr board.

I will add my thoughts on the book later, although you can check out reviews on Amazon.com- mostly good. The reason I say this is there is a detailed description of a meditation every few pages, so it may be a lifetime for me to finish it.

Eric

Edited for spelin ererrs

Ebullient

Qigong Empowerment is an outstanding book. I had the good fortune to spend time with Master Liang last summer and this summer. In the photos in the book he appears kind of dour (hey I would too if I hit myself in the head with a baseball bat, among the kinds of extreme training in the book). In fact he is a person full of vitality and warmth. His Wushu and Taiji skills are tremendous... I hope to integrate Qigong with RV.

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that's cool. Were you studying with him in some way?

I tend to think of Qi Gong in the way that I do energy work or healing--it's something that so affects you all the way through, I'm not sure a person could actually 'not' have it affect their RV even if they wanted that.

PJ

EricT

Wow, that is cool!

Yes, I did flip through the book and had quite a chuckle at the "baseball bat to the head" training, which (for those of you unfamiliar) is in the "iron shirt" training section of the book, which is a martial arts skill using qi to protect oneself from blows. Fascinating stuff.

Ebullient, I have been dying to ask somebody some questions on the "spiritual scorching" meditations. Is that something I could direct to you?

Specifically, 2 methods to do the meditation are outlined, but no differences are really stated. I was wondering what the difference is. Right now I am guessing that different houses practiced it slightly different, so that meditation has spread in two ways. But I really have no idea.

Very cool that you got to train with the authors, I am doing it all just from the book.

Eric

Ebullient

PJ wrote:
>Were you studying with him in some way?

As an attendee at an annual event that draws quite a few famous Taiji, Bagua and Qigong masters. It's produced by A Taste of China (http://www.atoctaijiquan.com) and is held in Winchester, Va. Liang also teaches in Vancouver where he is headquartered: see his interesting site http://www.shouyuliang.com.

Specifically I was in his meditation and push-hands classes. Push hands is an element of Taiji, a martial art exercise where the objective (depending on the rules in use) is to uproot or strike the opponent -- and to deflect and redirect the energy they direct toward you...

The Taoists of old did not have MRI machines, X-ray, electron microscopes, etc. to study body and health. They strove to develop the capacity of inner vision and feeling, which is much emphasized in Qigong practice. So I find a connection there to RV.

Eric said:
>Ebullient, I have been dying to ask somebody some questions on the "spiritual scorching" meditations. æIs that something I could direct to you?

Offline. Mail mungol@xemaps.com.

Ebullient

Incidentally since PJ mentioned healing -- and that is one of the topics of this section -- you might find inspiring, this magazine cover story about Master Liang's daughter Helen and her experiences with cancer.

It's called "Opening and Closing the Gates of Heaven: Helen Liang's Triumph over Tragedy, Battling Lymphoma with Qigong, Tai Chi and Chinese Medicine" by Martha Burr

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=353

Helen Liang is a practitioner of Liu He Ba Fa, a very old and somewhat obscure, but beautiful, form of Taiji that is reputed to be health promoting.

EricT

Looks like a great article, I will have to read up on it later unfortunatly, work calls.

Sent you an offline message too Ebullient. Many thanks for the above info though!

Eric