Reflections on the Gary Langford 2009 Expo event

Benton

Staff member
I am surprised that of the 30+ people in attendance that a thread discussing the interview hasn't been started.

If anyone communicates with Mr. Langford and he's okay with you sharing your dialogue, I hope you will do just that.

Palyne did a magnificent job as moderator. She was very personable and at the same time, focused on getting information for us, and I was impressed with her work.

After reading and re-reading and speculating on what he was talking about from 2005, it would have been difficult for all my questions to get addressed in an hour and a half, or a year and a half. Oh, and there were 30 other people just as eager to learn as me, so PJ had a LOT of ground to cover. Again, she did great.

I have NOT read the transcript so I don't have a lot to address right yet, especially some of the new stuff he gave us. I was most eager to see what he could tell us to flesh out some of his earlier ideas presented.

I think the 32 mechanisms he described are the thought machines he uses to gather "target truths". He made it sound like he chose 32, but there could be many more. In 2 minutes he could easily visit 32 boxes and get the info he needs.

One thing that I want to know more about is his "normal session process". We heard he doesn't use binaural beat technology, but does he use a cool down? Sounds like his 2 minutes is done in a meditative, no-mind state. We didn't question him about subconscious, or hypnagogic states, but I wonder how he can do 32 things without thinking. (what am saying? I do more than 32 things a day without thinking... just ask my wife...) But you get my point. There was a lot of explaining that would have helped, and may yet.

I thought the interview was a real thrill, and am looking forward to more!

Okay, enough from me.

I want to hear what YOU have to say.

psilentone

Great job moderating PJ! BTW you have really done some great things here at TKR and you rock in general .
Wow. I have just realized how atrophied my poor unused brain cells have become! It may shock you to learn that at one point in my life I actually considered myself an intelligent person. And my life by comparison to his...well we wont even go there.
I have exactly 32 questions give or take about 100000000000 more.
That is not even broaching the question of time.
I printed out the interview but I only got the part where PJ spoke to him. Was there more? I understand that at least Liz asked him some questions. Is there a further transcript of that part?
Most days I take this conglomeration of sites for granted but today I am soooooo grateful for them. PJ you rock.

EricT

I still need to read and reread the transcription before I can comment. But agreeing with all others here, smooth session, nice job moderating PJ!

psilentone

Nevermind. I got it all. Just a misunderstanding on my part.
PJ this is so much fun...can we do it all year?
JK ;D

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
psilentone said:
PJ this is so much fun...can we do it all year?

Oh God. I think I'll need to sleep for three months once July is over. There is tons of software coding and design and change and update on the dojo, plus stuff for the forum, plus pages and misc. for the expo area, plus all the graphics and stuff, transcripts, getting videos and flash icons to work (which doesn't seem like it would be rocket science, but I swear, it's always something!), and manual stuff (like 5 years of retroactive voting on sessions so we'll end up with a staff-picks G15 section in the RV Galleries), etc. -- doing this once a year is deadly enough LOL.

I was thinking we might do something a little different in spring and fall though.

And that maybe we would have a "Mini-Festivity" and some kind of "viewer-guest-request" chat series around the christmas holiday season.

We'll also probably be doing a few more ongoing chats with both outside folks and dojo viewers I really want to know better (how else can I get to know them? I show up at their house you know but they think I'm a stalker. Just kidding!), at least a couple a month probably from now on. So there will be more activity, at least! -- that's a good thing. :)

Once all this is over -- and I catch up on not having slept enough since sometime in mid-May -- I'll probably go back to Taskerbot reprogramming. We were in the middle of a beta re-work and the beta testers had fabulous important ideas and I was basically starting from ground level again, then life interrupted (life! it keeps getting in the way of my online world!) and time marches on and then... you know how that goes. tBot has a bunch of important tools in it and I want to finish that before I move onto about 7 other ideas.

Not counting the idea of getting enough sleep and doing a lot more viewing myself...!

Palyne

blackcat

First of all, I would like to say that I fully applaud PJ's efforts on this. I always look forward to seeing the interviews, either live or in transcript form. The transcript option is so very much appreciated I might add! In addition, I think everyone would agree that PJ is a most excellent moderator. It must have been especially challenging trying to make sense of the material and come up with questions that were both intelligent and good attempts to bring the conversation to areas of most interest to the readers. One thing I thought of through the whole transcript was that I would have been totally freaking out if it had been me in the same place trying to ride herd on this interview!

All that being said and considering, as many of you may have noticed, that I often speak my mind regardless of how many toes I may stomp on, I could not escape the notion that PJ was stuck with a task in this interview akin to trying to nail down grease coated jello with a paperclip. Perhaps I am just massively dense and arrogant to think such, but I really do feel that not much was said by Langford besides stuff of common sense, vague generalities that were not helpful, and vague promises of (maybe) something of slightly more substance (maybe) in a few years. Oh yeah plus there were some numbers bandied about, like 32 steps of some kind that were supposed to help him rv in some way but yet not one inkling of specifics on even one of the steps! Oh yeah and if you do it wrong, you will develop bad habits. But what is wrong and what is right? No word on the useful stuff!

I am not surprised there has been little discussion. I just don't see much to actually talk about other than the advice to 'pay attention' and 'learn to ignore distraction' which seems a bit obvious and are standard statements in much of the field including from McMoneagle. Perhaps PJ will be horrified at my rude treatment of her much sought after guest, and if so, I do apologize, but I am left wondering if Langford might have a considerable amount of skill as a politician, an ability that might work will in a boardroom but I do not think will do much to help any budding viewers. As a viewer, my goal was to look for things I could sink my fork into to understand viewing better and improve my practice, but as a viewer, despite PJ's valiant efforts, I just didn't see much meat on the plate on this interview.

Of course, even so, it is always interesting to listen to famous people in the rv field and maybe with a bit of luck, that was only the first course and Langford will eventually get around to the substance. But at this rate, I don't think I feel inclined to hold my breath! ;-)
-Eva

PJ

Administrator
Staff member
Naw, my goal is serious viewers courageous enough to view and independent and honest enough to have their own opinion about remote viewing and its theories etc. whether it's politically incorrect or not. I suspect you are probably leading a whole congregation in song on this particular point. ;-)

Chats are tough to get much info into of any depth. Especially on complex stuff. Kinda sympathized with that. I appreciate his time and I hope he'll provide me/us some more material we can evaluate up close, and maybe get a better handle on what he means by a lot of that.

Dr. May's interview tonight was just exhaustingly fun. The transcript will be book length I bet. Radically different style than Gary which is great, I love the variance between people, kind of a something-for-everyone effect.

daz

Remote viewer, author, artist and photographer.
Staff member
OK i reread the Gary interview 3 times now and I have to admit some of it is just 'blue sky' to me.
But the 2min 500 page thing I just find a little hard to believe. Its a little like the 100% accurate statement on another page - for me to believe people do this I would need to see it -sorry!

Now I do know and have had a stream of data continue way into the time writing a session summary as dribbles of data still come in - but for 500 pages I just dont know. Maybe something else is going on here.

Interesting though.

daz

Marv_Darley

Staff member
Have to agree with Daz...by the time I finished reading that transcript you could have happily surfed the slick of dribble down my chin. Understood about 1.5% of it (the hellos at the start). And 500 pages from a 2 min spell of empty mind? Crikey.

:-\

Marv said:
Have to agree with Daz...by the time I finished reading that transcript you could have happily surfed the slick of dribble down my chin. Understood about 1.5% of it (the hellos at the start). And 500 pages from a 2 min spell of empty mind? Crikey.
:-\

Finding it hard to believe as well, I wrote to an EFM (Exceptionally Fertile Mind) I know asking what he thought about the transcript and esp that 500/2 ratio - and he wrote back - yeah, sure, makes sense, he gets that too. (I've suggested to him that he or I post it here).

Then we have Pru with her "thought balls", Philip K. Dick with his overwhelming massive ZAP of information, another person whose name I can't recall - there may be something here.

Jon

katzenhai2

Ambassador
blackcat said:
As a viewer, my goal was to look for things I could sink my fork into to understand viewing better and improve my practice
Well, people come in here to "take shortcuts" - but that's impossible in RV. There's only one way: Practise. So I'm not sure deeper information by Gary would be of any (real) help.

But I think it should be a must of any RVer to show what his abilities are: Let them have a session!
I vote for each chat guest doing a double-blind session. 8) Then we can talk about remote viewing...

Gene_Smith

Administrator
Staff member
It'll be interesting to see what Mr. McMoneagle might have to say on the subject as he and Gary, at least to my mind, seem to have similiar viewing styles.

Gene

blackcat

Katz, learning how to improve my practice is not the same thing as 'taking shortcuts.' Langford specifically said that although practice is important, he said if you don't practice right, you will probably get all sorts of bad habits. But he did not say what the bad habits were and he did not say how to do it right. My point is the first statement is not useful without info on how to impliment it. Obviously, there would not have been time to cover the whole subject, but it would have been nice to get one or two useful pointers or bits of advice.

As for the 2 minute, 500 page thing, although sounding rather extreme, I could actually see how that could come to pass. When writing up a report, by the time you get one pertinant impression and explain it and how it relates to the target and what it might mean for the future, all in a way that is comprehensible to the laymen, and have it typed with wide margins and double spacing, then you might already have several pages of writing just for one tiny aspect of the session. Writing a report for an analyst in which you just list basic raw data is a much shorter quicker job than writing one up for a client in which you are giving the raw data along with the analyst perspective and then having to say it all in a way that a laymen can understand. The report would also probably contain a lot of higher analysis of the big picture of what all the impressions might mean and suggested courses of action or suggested further courses of research. PLus I would not be surprised if a certain amount of remote viewing continues to occur and new ideas come to the fore during the process of writing the report as well.
-Eva

daz

Staff member
I understand what you guys are saying but jon you and i have written big client reports - 500 pages is HUGE.
And all in 2 minutes. Not even in an extra dribble effect that comes in when summary writing, its my understanding that Gary says the info comes in one big burst.

its interesting stuff but I agree it needs a shed load of depth.

daz

psijunkie

A 500 page report may not necessarily be 500 pages of data.

Gary did say that he would only write a full report if the client wanted a professional report to share with policy/decision makers, partners, etc. Because of the giggle factor the client wouldn't want others to know it came from paranormal means. Lets face it - people in business, in government, etc don't take RV seriously. If you were a client of Gary's and you wanted to give a report to your boss, you don't want to give them an RV session, with all the sketches and descriptors.

"Jones, what is this???"
"Sir, its an RV session. Information acquired from psychic means, by way of"
"Get out my office, Jones!"

For this reason, it is probably a report written in a professional convention, with conventionally-known information intermixed with RV data. You'd have much of the report contain the usual, conventional things: overview of the topic, historical analysis, etc. Written in such a way as to conceal the psychic origin of the data.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me, and matches with the other time figures he cites: two hours verbal debriefing if thats all the client wants. Six hours to write a report for his own personal purposes(real estate etc.).

At least, thats my take on it, I could be wrong.

daz

Staff member
Maybe, but ive seen reports form Garys consultancy in the past (at least 2) And im not sure he'd be hired unless the client know he was an intuitive and still 500 pages - thats not a report that's bigger than most BOOKS.

daz

Benton

Staff member
The chat was wonderful in that it gave some more substance to some of the issues he brought up in his 2005 visit to TKR, and introduced some new ideas. Unfortunately, because he is rarely heard from and because his methods and conceptualizations of the process have diverged somewhat from the way we are used to talking about it, 2, 3 or 30 hours may not be enough time to get the questions answered.

PJ did a great job addressing a lot of issues, and because of his writing style, the time constraints, and the newness of some of the ideas, we barely scratched the surface on most of the ideas he was asked about. I don't think there was ANY way to avoid this, so I am grateful for what occurred and the info we received. Had we taken the whole time to address one question, like "what is a mechanism" we still would have only gotten started on it because there is the process to consider and the conceptual framework his process and method fit into and his cosmology that holds that framework.... etc etc.

What I am trying to say is..... ITS BIG... ITS ALL BIG, LOTS AND LOTS OF BIG!! Hour and a half, two hours, not big. Giant big info in little time leads to messy messy mess. So you sit down with what you got and you work from there.

Lets get the 500 page thing out of the way. You can, given some context for the viewing, and 32 pieces of info, write a lot.

I still think he is doing RV much differently than I have heard it done before. I think he creates these "mechanisms" in his mind, in his subconscious, that are detectors, they are sensors that are detecting info in the Matrix for all possible target numbers, and in the 2 minute session, he visits lots of different sensor/detectors, depending on the target. A mechanism could be looking for any distinguishing quality of the target. Manmade? Water present? Lifeforms present? Loud noises?

It takes 2 minutes to plow through the mechanisms (one-b-one)

And they can work like a flowchart, to focus in on a quality to get details, as the tasking dictates.

The mental tools are the mechanisms of RV. They are sometimes enacted through a method, but also can be linked processes. Various mechanisms can be swapped in/out as the target type and the needs of the question require.

He has developed 32 questions that can get to the info he needs, but he doesn't say he uses ALL 32 every session. They are like tools in a toolbox he can use when appropriate.

This process is very different from ERV or CRV, and eliminates much of the noise and overlay other methods must deal with. Each of the mechanisms is a binary switch.

Of course its more complicated than that, but from my limited understanding, that is the bulk of it. Of course, I could be completely wrong and off-base, but that is what I got from it.

And he said a lot more, plus some NEW ideas that need a bit more thought... but that is for another post.

What do you think?