• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Hi Viewers! As you see, we have new software for our forum. Updates will happen to make this a little more personalized to TKR eventually. :-) -- PJ

TKR's Hands-On Dojo is current offline; will return soon...

RedCairo

do you ever dream you're someone else?
For about the fourth time in 10 years my server company has said "we need to move your server for our own reasons" and I said, "OK" (because I have no choice), and they say, "OK check to make sure it's ok" and I say, "The site is totally dead. This isn't working at all! You must have some setting wrong or something, it's not even running the application file." And they spend WEEKS telling me it's somehow my fault they broke it horribly... my version still works perfectly, just as their version did before they moved it... only to discover oh yeah, whoops, yeah we didn't have this setting right in the (database, middleware servers etc.), or whatever.

I've been going around with them for 2.5 weeks about this now while my application is dead in the water, it is so exasperating I'm having to stop and pray/meditate every time I think of it just to keep from it taking me into frothing rage. This happens every damn time. It's a huge corp, they probably rent many tens of thousands of servers, so why they cannot get this stuff right is beyond me. I nearly had a panic attack when they said they wanted to move it, remembering what happened the last few times, and thinking well surely they can't be THAT consistently bad at it. Ha! My pathological optimism.

Anyway so the dojo is down.... still... I have a tentative appointment with, hopefully, someone who has half a clue on Monday to sharescreen walk through it and hopefully resolve it. To the dojo viewers, I'm so sorry about this. I cannot do anything except wait for them to fix it and bug them every day, since the problem is not on my side. Hopefully by next week sometime it will be restored.

PJ

It looks like it's not quite dead yet. The site seems to work, but not the login.
The login has been buggy for a long time. For many years I reckon.

Remote viewing is free and natural. We were made to be in the garden and messed up, of course. We are creative. Imagine that. I like this place.

RedCairo

do you ever dream you're someone else?
Well I confess after so much drama over it, it was like PTSD here, I walked away for like a month. I just rebegan day before yesterday. And so far I get the same results. I can access the database on the old server fine (I can run the dojo perfectly from localhost). I can get SQL files from Microsoft SQL Server Manager or from a program I bought called SQLBackupAndFTP. And the new server team runs them, which is supposed to build the schema, the tables, and then get the data and put it into them, so that then, the database would be on the new server. But every time... the tables I need or at least the first one aren't present. I cannot seem to save a file that will "work" for moving the databases to the new server. I've had many rounds of this now, and a ton of support help, and so far to no avail. I have everything and I've been paying for both locations and even some help to 'improve' the SQL files since they seemed to be not working right, but I just can't get there from here. (The original problem was a move (+ inherent upgrade) the first server corp did on coldfusion and sql server, but now the problem is getting the database to the new server.) My next step is trying to find someone to hire to work with the db and the new server corp to figure out WTH is going wrong. Since '93 when I started webwork ('98 for dynamic dev) I have never had such a horrible, site-killing problem with anything. And it's so stupid that it isn't working. This is normally not that hard. I've had so much frustration about the overall situation that I'm starting to react even to thinking about it! I'm so sorry about the delay. It will eventually be present again. I cannot give a specific timeframe at this point alas. It could be a few days or another month. - PJ